First Notification Delay Not Working

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
dslaughter

First Notification Delay Not Working

Post by dslaughter »

I've modified the alert settings and set the first notification delay to 10m. After alarm is received no notification is sent at all. I see the trap in event log. Notification log doesn't contain anything for this trap. I'm sure I got something wrong somewhere. What information is needed to troubleshoot?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: First Notification Delay Not Working

Post by scottwilkerson »

This directive is likely not going to have the desired affect when used with passive services such as traps as the notification wouldn't be triggered until another check is performed (which would not happen until another trap is received)

From the Core docs:
If this directive is used notifications will be sent out after the next check is performed following the first_notification_delay time
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

That makes sense but I need something like this. Traps come and go but if a problem trap comes in and doesn't clear within x minutes then send a notification. I'm trying to not notify when a customer resets their system. Is there a way to delay the notification for a trap based on state and time active?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

dslaughter wrote:That makes sense but I need something like this. Traps come and go but if a problem trap comes in and doesn't clear within x minutes then send a notification. I'm trying to not notify when a customer resets their system. Is there a way to delay the notification for a trap based on state and time active?
I understand what you are looking for, but it simply isn't available for passive results such as traps.

Usually an OK trap is send when such a problem is resolved.

In order for this to function as requested a new feature would first need to be added to Nagios Core
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/nagioscore/issues
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

That is disappointing. I guess I'll try to get this to work with an event handler. If that doesn't work I'll have to develop my own trap receiver/processor. My experience with feature request is they never get done. I'll open a request but I have no confidence it will be addressed. I don't think adding a delay to trap notifications is a big deal. If an event comes in no matter its origination should support delayed notification.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

dslaughter wrote:That is disappointing. I guess I'll try to get this to work with an event handler. If that doesn't work I'll have to develop my own trap receiver/processor. My experience with feature request is they never get done. I'll open a request but I have no confidence it will be addressed. I don't think adding a delay to trap notifications is a big deal. If an event comes in no matter its origination should support delayed notification.
Sure, an event handler could work but something will need to trigger it.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

You can lock this thread. Sorry it took so long to let you know. I'll wait to see if the change is made.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

dslaughter wrote:You can lock this thread. Sorry it took so long to let you know. I'll wait to see if the change is made.
Great!

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com