mysql_error: 'Out of range value for column 'servicecheck_id

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
DonGately

mysql_error: 'Out of range value for column 'servicecheck_id

Post by DonGately »

Hello,

first of all I'd like to wish you happy holidays :)

I'm opening this thread, because I have a problem with the nagios mariadb database, to be more specific with the servicecheck_id column in the nagios_servicechecks table. I get following error messages:

"mysql_error: 'Out of range value for column 'servicecheck_id".

"Error: mysql_query() failed for 'INSERT INTO nagios_servicechecks SET instance_id='1', service_object_id='12131', ..."

So the problem is, that servicecheck_id is of data type INT and the highest value it can store is 2147483647. Now guess what the last value was, that was successfully written to servicecheck_id in nagios_servicechecks before the error messages started to appear? You're right! It's 2147483647! So basically my Nagios database reached the highest value for servicecheck_id and can't write any longer to nagios_servicechecks because the new value for servicecheck_id is out of bounds.

My question is: what can I do to make Nagios able to write to the nagios_servicechecks table again? What possibilities are there? I have currently running Nagios Core Version 4.4.3 with NDOMOD 2.1.3

Thank you and kind regards!
DonGately

Re: mysql_error: 'Out of range value for column 'servicechec

Post by DonGately »

I have an update regarding my little problem. It is not quite solved yet - I would say - but at least nagios_servicechecks table is being populated with data again. For now I changed the datatype of servicecheck_id from INT to BIGINT after my other approaches didn't do nothing.

First I tried rebuilding the whole nagios database with the dump and reload method described here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en ... ump-reload but without any success.

After that I tried to repair the table via phpMyAdmin, also without any success.

Then I changed the datatype from INT to BIGINT as I mentioned earlier and now data is being written again into nagios_servicechecks table.

I'd still appreciate it if somebody has any ideas on how to fix this in a more sustainable way.

Thank you and kind regards.