Enable new Windows Server 2019 in nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
hausrocker

Enable new Windows Server 2019 in nagios

Post by hausrocker »

I have updated a server that is already included in our nagios (3.5.0) with some checks:
RAM, CPU, hard disk C and D plus uptime.
The check in the file windows.cfg looks like this:

define service{
use generic-service
host_name DEGHUV02
service_description CPU Auslastung
check_command check_snmp_load
}

define service{
use generic-service
host_name DEGHUV02
service_description Arbeitsspeicher
check_command check_snmp_storage!'Physical Memory'!90!95
}

define service{
use generic-service
host_name DEGHUV02
service_description Platte C
check_command check_snmp_storage!^C:!85!90
}

define service{
use generic-service
host_name DEGHUV02
service_description Platte D
check_command check_snmp_storage!^D:!92!93

On the old Windows Server 2012 I dont know how exactly it was configured but I could not see any NCP Client installed.
And now the checks give me the error: ERROR: Description/Type table : No response from remote host "192.168.82.43".

I already installed the NSClient++ (x64) version 0.5.2035 and the NCPA client 2.2.2 - but it still does not work.

I am not aware of any passwort. The commands.cfg config file looks like this:
# 'check_snmp_storage.pl' command definition
define command{
command_name check_snmp_storage
command_line $USER1$/check_snmp_storage.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C public -m $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$
}

And that looks to me like there is no option with -s. So no password is set so I also did not set any in the config.
I also added the IP of the nagios server to allowed hosts with a ,

Windows firewall is also disabled.
What do I need to install on the Server and how to configure it to get this working again?
mcapra

Re: Enable new Windows Server 2019 in nagios

Post by mcapra »

Here's a guide for getting started with monitoring Windows machines via NCPA, which interfaces with the check_ncpa plugin:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ndows.html

NSClient++ interfaces with the check_nrpe plugin.

It looks like you're using the check_snmp_storage plugin, which does not directly interface with NSClient++ or NCPA. It relies on the Windows SNMP daemon, which generally needs to be enabled manually by a Windows administrator. Here's the Microsoft documentation for how to do that:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubl ... mp-service

Pay special attention to the "Configure SNMP security for a community" section of this documentation, as the community string you designate is what gets fed into the check_snmp_storage plugin via the -C argument.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
hausrocker

Post by hausrocker »

Thank you for that hint.
I knew from a different nagios installation that there is this option with the client and also that was the reason why it puzzled me that I could not find that on my server, even the ones where it is working right now.

I just had to add the IP of the nagios server to allowed clients and now it works. Great support.
hausrocker

Post by hausrocker »

Thank you. That worked fine. Basically just had to add the IP of the nagios server to security config of the snmp service.