Acknowledgements and Comments - dashlet shows nothing

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
kariroman

Acknowledgements and Comments - dashlet shows nothing

Post by kariroman »

Hi, tried to acknowledge few services/hosts problems and entered comments. But if I go to Home->Incident Management->Acknowledgements dashlet (?) always returns "no comments og acknowledgements". Bug?

Nagiosxi R1.3

Regards, Kári
tonyyarusso

Re: Acknowledgements and Comments - dashlet shows nothing

Post by tonyyarusso »

Would I be correct in thinking your other thread specifying problems with Icelandic characters is a refinement of this problem, and with English characters it's fine?
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
kariroman

Post by kariroman »

No, I don´t think it´s related to non English characters (possibly after I was trying to use Icelandic ones??). I do not see any acknowledgments with or without comments.
tonyyarusso

Post by tonyyarusso »

Oy, okay - I'll see if we can reproduce that.
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
kariroman

Post by kariroman »

After I removed all acknowledgments and comments I entered before I begin to see new ones (for some reason) BUT
if I use x button (to remove acknowledgment I assume) service remains marked as acknowledged but the acknowledgment disappears from Acknowledgments and Comments view (below Status details and also under Incident management tree) - see screen shots below -

But if I go to Core and add comment - than I get Acknowledgments and Comments view correct again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

This is designed behavior. Removing a comment and acknowledgement are two independent steps. Adding a comment while acknowledging a service is two steps performed by a single command.

We have discussed adding integrated "incident tracking" into XI. This is where a group of comments would be attached to an outing and it's associated acknowledgments all at the hip. There might also be support for joining related outings together.

Though there are no plans to actually implement this at the moment.
kariroman

Post by kariroman »

Ok, I see, but it´s still quite confusing not to be able to see acknowledgments (which are actually exist) under the tree element with the name Acknowledgments? What the idea is behind on the first place not to allow to add acknowledgment without a comment (logical) than allow to delete the comment(s) (why?) and than hide the acknowledgment without a comment from the menu with the name Acknowledgments (why??)?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A problem can either be acknowledged or not acknowledged.

Multiple acknowledgements can be made to the same problem, which will add multiple comments. These comments can each be deleted if someone wants, but the acknowledgement flag on the problem host/service will stay around until the problem recovers.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

To elaborate on what Admin was saying is that Acknowledgment don't "exist" like comments do. Instead an Acknowledgment is a state change, going something like so:
OK->Critical->Acknowledge->OK

There are also soft states not listed in this example. So the Acknowledgement becomes a part of the state:
OK(hard/soft)
Warning(hard/soft)
Critical(hard/soft)
Acknowledge Warning(hard only, unless previous state was Acknowledge Critical)
Acknowledge Critical(hard only, unless previous state was Acknowledge Warning)