BPI Feature Enhancement Request

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
J.A.K

BPI Feature Enhancement Request

Post by J.A.K »

As my company tries to make heavy use of BPI a few things have popped up that I think could use some quality of life improvements. Wanted to bring them up here in case others agree these are useful enough for a feature request.
  • Have a search available in adding new members. When you have thousands of servers to sort through just the singular list box makes things difficult.

Have the BPI API pull group description as well in the summary.

Not sure if this is a bug, but looks like removing a service check left a blank entry where it was in the BPI group after an apply configuration.
    Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J.A.K

Re: BPI Feature Enhancement Request

Post by J.A.K »

In addition to the leftover entry I've also noticed it does not sync again after I apply configuration like is stated in this setting:
Capture2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Great ideas, I'll submit the requests to dev as they would be helpful and update the post shortly.

EDIT: Created:

Code: Select all

XI - BPI - Add Search box when adding/editing a BPI group to make adding items faster
XI - BPI - Show group description as well in the BPI interface (or an option for it) and when adding/editing
Please run this command as root and leave it running:

tail -Fn0 /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/cmdsubsys.log
Then apply configuration and wait until the BPI sync stuff occurs (will take a minute or so after applying configuration) and then once that's done send us the full output from the still running tail command above so we can see what's occurring.

Attach this file as well:

/usr/local/nagiosxi/var/components/bpi.log
What version of XI are you running? You can find it on the bottom left hand side after logging in.
J.A.K

Post by J.A.K »

I'm on 5.8.1 currently. Attached the zip with both the tail file and the log. Cmd exits as a success it looks like, but checking BPI hostgroups is empty again until I manually click sync.
BPI.zip
Edit: For the second feature request to make sure I got it across correctly I specifically mean pulling the BPI group description back when using the BPI API call. Basically while you would currently get back:

"WeConnect": {
"name": "WeConnect",
"title": "WeConnect",
"type": "default",
"status_text": "Group health below critical threshold of 80%! Health is 0% with 1 problem(s).",
"current_state": 2,
"problems": 1,
"health": 0,
"warning": 90,
"critical": 80
}

After the update you would get back:

"WeConnect": {
"name": "WeConnect",
"title": "WeConnect",
"description": "BPI group for WeConnect App",
"type": "default",
"status_text": "Group health below critical threshold of 80%! Health is 0% with 1 problem(s).",
"current_state": 2,
"problems": 1,
"health": 0,
"warning": 90,
"critical": 80
}
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I've added another one:

XI - API - BPI endpoint - Show group description when querying
Please PM me a copy of your profile so I can lab this up with what you have, you can download it from Admin > System Profile by clicking the Download Profile button.
J.A.K

Post by J.A.K »

Just wanted to make sure did you get the system profile I PM'ed?
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Yes, received.

What is the output of this command?

systemctl status php-fpm
If it's not started, try starting it:

systemctl start php-fpm
Do you have any security software installed on the server that could be impacting it?

Please run this command as root and send me the resulting /tmp/HTTPDFILES.zip file:

zip -r /tmp/HTTPDFILES.zip /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf /etc/httpd/conf.d /etc/php.ini /etc/php-fpm.conf /etc/php-fpm.d
EDIT: Send the output of this command as well:

mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -uroot -pnagiosxi -e "SELECT @@SQL_MODE, @@GLOBAL.SQL_MODE\G;"
J.A.K

Post by J.A.K »

Yep php-fpm is running. We do have security called FireEye that should be have exclusions on all Nagios folders, but I can't have our security team stop it without proof it's affecting something.

Output of the MySQL CMD:

[f10000003j@vml1038 ~]$ mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -uroot -pnagiosxi -e "SELECT @@SQL_MODE, @@GLOBAL.SQL_MODE\G;"
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
*************************** 1. row ***************************
@@SQL_MODE: ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION
@@GLOBAL.SQL_MODE: ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

Here's the zip file:
HTTPDFILES.zip
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

You would need to have your team investigate your security tool in order to determine if it's blocking anything, you may want to reach out to them to have them check the logs to see if they see anything.

I would do this first though:

You will need to set sql_mode="" under the [mysqld] section of your /etc/my.cnf.d/mysql-server.cnf:

[mysqld]
sql_mode=""
Then restart mysqld:

systemctl restart mysqld
Then test the BPI sync again.
J.A.K

Post by J.A.K »

No dice on the mysql line. Added it. Restarted the service. Hit Apply Config. BPI hostgroups are blank.

I did open a ticket with our security team and FireEye hasn't quarantined any processes or files on our XI server recently. At this point should I open an enterprise ticket and reference this thread?