Migrating Nagios XI to new machince

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
JohnFLi

Migrating Nagios XI to new machince

Post by JohnFLi »

I currently have Nagios XI installed on a centos 6 system.
To upgrade to the latest version of nagios, i have to have the OS at 7 or higer.

I tried an inplace upgrade a few times and failed.

So, i will just create a new system with the correct OS, then migrate nagios to the new system.

So, my question is this:

on the new system, should i install the newest version of Nagios, then restore data from old version?

Or

on the new system, install old version of nagios, then restore, then upgrade nagios?
Everybody is somebody else’s weirdo
JohnFLi

Re: Migrating Nagios XI to new machince

Post by JohnFLi »

Well, i migrated it to a fresh install.
all i needed to do to migrate was to following the nagios backup and restore instructions.

Copy the backup file over to the new system (in a specific spot), then do a restore.
I will say that I was extreamly surprised by how quick and easy it was.

In nagios xi, go to "admin", down at the bottom left, click on 'local backup archives" and then click on the 'create backup' button
once finished, go to "/store/backups/nagiosxi" in there will be your backup (it takes a few min.)
copy that file someplace you will remember.

on the new system (same nagios version) copy that backup file to "/store/backups/nagiosxi"
then from putty
/usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/restore_xi.sh /store/backups/nagiosxi/<name of the backup file>

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
Everybody is somebody else’s weirdo