Lock dashlets on dashboard for guest user

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
support@nagios.nl

Lock dashlets on dashboard for guest user

Post by support@nagios.nl »

Hi all,

I've got a question about dashlets.
We've made a dashboard with a set of dashlets and deployed it to a user named guest. When we log in with that account we can see the dashlets we've deployed, only this guest user has the ability to remove them.
Is there a way to "lock" these dashlets to preventing them from being removed by this guest user?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Lock dashlets on dashboard for guest user

Post by lmiltchev »

When you deploy a dashboard to a user, you can select the "Keep Synced" check-box. This way, the user won't be able to change anything. He/she may add/delete a dashlet but as soon as the page is refreshed, the "original" dashboard will be in place.

Read more about using dashboards in Nagios XI here:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
support@nagios.nl

Hi lmiltchev,

Thanks for your feedback.
I assumed that when the dashboard which was deployed to some people they can make changes to it and this will be synced to all members for that particular dashboard.
But it works as a template for the dashlets thats being used. I didn't know that.
Tested it, refreshing the page and everything is back in place!

Many thanks for pointing that out to me!
Question has been answered and can be closed.

Regards,
Fred Lopulalan
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

support@nagios.nl wrote:Hi lmiltchev,

Thanks for your feedback.
I assumed that when the dashboard which was deployed to some people they can make changes to it and this will be synced to all members for that particular dashboard.
But it works as a template for the dashlets thats being used. I didn't know that.
Tested it, refreshing the page and everything is back in place!

Many thanks for pointing that out to me!
Question has been answered and can be closed.

Regards,
Fred Lopulalan
Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
support@nagios.nl

Hi lmiltchev,
My test environment is XI 5.6.14 and that works fine with refreshing the page to load the original dashboard.
When I am doing the same on production (XI 5.8.3) and remove as user guest dashlets they don't come back! I assumed that it also should work on XI 5.8.3
I am using also the sync option on XI 5.8.3, but when I log in as guest I can remove dashlets and refreshing the page doesn't restore my original dashboard. When I log in as administrator and look at the dashboard for the user guest the dashlet has been removed, even though the sync button has been selected.
Am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Fred
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I just labbed this up in XI 5.8.3 and it's working as expected.

Was the dashboard created by the guest user?

Here's what I did:
- Login to XI as nagiosadmin
- Create a new dashboard
- Add a couple dashlets to it
- Deploy the dashboard while selecting to keep synced
- Masquerade or login as the other user
- Delete a dashlet from the page
- Click off that dashboard and go back to it and the original dashlets are still there

Please send me a copy of your profile.zip from your XI 5.8.3 system, you can download it from Admin > System Profile by clicking the Download Profile button.
support@nagios.nl

Hi Sean,

I've just removed as user administrator the dashboard for the guest user, made a new one with a few dashlets and logged in as user guest.
When I remove a dashlet and refresh the page it is not coming back. I've sent you the profile as PM.

Regards,
Fred
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I didn't see anything abnormal in the profile logs.

Please create a ticket for this and include a link back to this forum thread so we can get a remote session setup:

https://support.nagios.com/tickets/

Thank you!
support@nagios.nl

Hi Sean,

I've found what was going on. When I made the Dashboard on Production I had selected the option "Background color - transparent". Obviously this was causing dashlets to be removed by the user to whom the dashboard was deployed to.
When managing the dashboard with adding and removing dashlets and then deploying it you don't see this option anymore, so you forget you had set it. I also had distributed the link to the dashboard with the specific ID to some people so I didn't want to remove it.
So when I removed all of it and made it all from scratch and didn't select the transparent color option it worked as it should be. I couldn't imaging that it was working on my support / test environment XI 5.6.14, but not with XI 5.8.3. I was doing something wrong but couldn't find out what caused it.
I don't know exactly when using the "Background color - transparent" option, but users to whom you deploy dashboards to can remove dashlets from it permanently.
Thanks for your support.
Case can be closed.

Kind regards,
Fred
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Thanks for the update.

If I selected background transparent and then deployed it the dashlets would still come back for me on page reload.

The only way I was able to get this to allow them to remove them was if I clicked Manage My Dashboards as the user and edited it (which essentially makes it theirs and breaks the sync of it as far as I'm aware).