Nagios Core development

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
antonc42

Nagios Core development

Post by antonc42 »

I want to start out by saying that I don't mean to be unappreciative or disrespectful with my questions. I have been a Nagios Core user for many years and find it to be a great product. I also understand that open source development is often done without compensation and is therefore subject to many outside factors like how much free time the developers have. I don't mean to be ungrateful or entitled. I'm just curious.

Is development still occurring on Nagios Core? There appear to have been no new commits or releases on the GitHub for over a year, unless I'm missing something. Has development moved somewhere else? Has focus shifted somewhere else? Are there just not enough developers anymore? Is it considered feature complete and is just in a state of maintenance?

Again, I don't mean to offend. I appreciate all the developer's hard work over the years. I'm hoping someone here with the inside scoop can fill us in as much as possible on the state of the project.
benjaminsmith

Re: Nagios Core development

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi,

Thanks for joining the community forum. The short answer here is that we are doing a big push to update major components of Nagios XI to make the product more flexible and scalable. Those changes include a frontend using React (flexible reports and dashboards) and an updated architecture for performance data ( new time series database).

The 6.0 release will be out sometime next year. We'll have a maintenance release out for Nagios Core either late this year or early next.

We are also working on major updates to NCPA (Nagios Cross-Platform Agent).

As far as additional features to Nagios Core, I would expect those to happen after the 6.0 release as there's a lot going on right now :D The good news is the current version of Core is very stable.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Regards,
Benjamin
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
antonc42

Re: Nagios Core development

Post by antonc42 »

Thanks for the info!

I agree that Core is very stable and is not lacking in features for my use case. I was mainly concerned about ongoing maintenance, like security and bug fixes. It is great to hear that development will continue.

Thank you once again for all the hard work and for making an excellent product!