NagiosXI and Python3

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
apteancloud

NagiosXI and Python3

Post by apteancloud »

Hello,

I found this thread which talks about Python3 support for NagiosXI. While this post is of 2018, has any progress been made?
Thread: https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 16&t=58111
benjaminsmith

Re: NagiosXI and Python3

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi apteancloud,

Thanks for following up on this one. Some good news here, all of our scripts will work with python3 now, so you do not need to have python2 installed.

That said, some operating systems require python2, like Cent 7, since it's required by the operating system. It's not something we fully control.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

--Benjamin
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
apteancloud

Post by apteancloud »

I have a requirement to setup OpsGenie with NagiosXI for our notification management. I have the instructions from OpsGenie on the setup process, however, it requires Python3 and as luck would have it I am running NagiosXI on a CentOS 7 box. Is there a way, after installing Python 3 on the box, I can redirect NagiosXI to call Python3 libraries instead ofPython2?
Would save quite a bit of time to get a new server with new OS to re-setup NagiosXI and OpsGenie.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi,

While having python2 is a requirement on Cent 7, you should be able to install version 3 as well. However, to avoid any conflicts, you'll want to have python linked by default to python2.
Would save quite a bit of time to get a new server with a new OS to re-setup NagiosXI and OpsGenie.
My recommendation here would be to deploy your test instance to setup this up with OpsGeneie and python3 before attempting to make changes to your production server.

See: Nagios XI License Entitlements

--Benjamin
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!