Plugin timed out while executing system call

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jameyw

Plugin timed out while executing system call

Post by jameyw »

I am in the process of migrating everything from XI 5.4.13 to XI 5.8.7. I modified one of my check commands based on answers provided in my UPS Monitor thread.

This command:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H 10.x.x.40  -o .1.3.6.1.4.1.2947.1.8.1.0 -C public -P 1 -l "Alarms" -u "Active" -c 0
It returns:
CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call.

In fact, any new "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp" returns the same error.
dchurch

Re: Plugin timed out while executing system call

Post by dchurch »

Please post the output from executing the command with the "-v" switch:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -v -H 10.x.x.40  -o .1.3.6.1.4.1.2947.1.8.1.0 -C public -P 1 -l "Alarms" -u "Active" -c 0
If you didn't get an 8% raise over the course of the pandemic, you took a pay cut.

Discussion of wages is protected speech under the National Labor Relations Act, and no employer can tell you you can't disclose your pay with your fellow employees.
jameyw

Post by jameyw »

Here is what I got after running the command:

[root@localhost ~]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -v -H 10.x.x.40 -o .1.3.6.1.4.1.2947.1.8.1.0 -C public -P 1 -l "Alarms" -u "Active" -c 0 -v
/usr/bin/snmpget -Le -t 3 -r 5 -m '' -v 1 [context] [authpriv] 10.x.x.40:161 .1.3.6.1.4.1.2947.1.8.1.0
CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Do either of these work?

snmpwalk -v 1 -c 'public' 10.x.x.40
snmpget -v 2c -c 'public' 10.x.x.40
If not, it's likely a firewall blocking it, the wrong SNMP community, or the wrong SNMP version (could be using version 3), or an invalid SNMP configuration/SNMP not running on the remote system. (in that order of likelihood)
jameyw

Post by jameyw »

It works fine in XI 5.4.13. I am migrating to a new install of XI 5.8.7 and have been building the checks using the wizard and adding the OID values that I copy and paste from the 5.4.13 system. It was working fine then after making some changes to a check in reference to this thread https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 16&t=64442 it stopped working for all services on 2 hosts. If I build new hosts and services, they don't work either. Existing host/service checks work fine.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Given it's failing on the new host but works on the old one I'm inclined to think it's a FW/ACL/whitelist/or piece of security software that is not allowing it.

The problem is SNMP uses UDP so there will be no response back, so we can't use nmap or traceroute to prove it's being blocked.

You'll either need to login to the network AND security devices along the network path it should take and review the logs OR grab a packet capture on the XI server and see what it shows when you run the command below as root on the NEW system (and leave it running):

tcpdump -nni any -w /tmp/tcpdump_capture1.pcap
Then in another SSH session to the NEW server, run the check again to replicate the issue, then hit CTRL+C the tcpdump command to stop it and attach the resulting /tmp/tcpdump_capture1.pcap so we can review it.

Thank you!
jameyw

Post by jameyw »

You can close the thread. I can correctly monitor the UPS now. The timeout was caused by a typo in the device's allowed SNMP manager settings.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Excellent, let us know if there is anything further,
Perry