Enable notifications for specific contact groups

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
aylesworth

Enable notifications for specific contact groups

Post by aylesworth »

Hello,

I'm about ready to enable wide notifications from our XI install, but I'm not sure how to enable them just for the contact groups that need to receive them.

Would this be done through the notifications panel, then selecting only the groups I want notified on the right column, then apply a template? I used myself as a test for this and I receive ALL emails, even for alerts that I am not in the notification group for. I don't want all contact groups to receive all emails, only the emails that their group is configured as a recipient for.

Thanks!
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: Enable notifications for specific contact groups

Post by ssax »

If you create a contact group, add contacts to that contact group, and then attach that contact group to a host or service all contacts in that contact group would be notified only about the hosts/services they are a member of.

Please see the guides here:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

You can also set it in a template but the template is likely being used by others and will usually cause it to be applied to more than you want if you're not careful.

If you need help, please PM me a copy of your profile.zip, you can download it from Admin > System Profile by clicking the Download Profile button.
aylesworth

Post by aylesworth »

Thanks,

As far as I know all of the contact groups are set up on their respective service/host monitors as we would like them set up. I have notifications globally disabled currently, in testing I went to Admin > Notification Management, selected my account under preferences, ticked all of the boxes, then deployed that to my user account. At that point I received all notifications. I'm trying to avoid that happening with the distribution groups making sure that they only receive notifications for the hosts/services their contact groups are set up to receive.

I'll send the profile.zip over, thanks!
Last edited by aylesworth on Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Please PM me an example notification that you received that you shouldn't have (just the body of the email is fine and who it was sent to).
aylesworth

Post by aylesworth »

PM Sent! I forgot to include that the notification was only sent to me, I deployed the 24x7 template to my account for testing so it's fine that I receive everything, I just want to make sure that when I deploy a template to the contact groups that are required, each group isn't being inundated with other's notifications.

Thanks!
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi

ssax had to take some time off, so could you please pm me what you had sent to him.

Thanks!
aylesworth

Post by aylesworth »

Just sent that PM.

Thanks!
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

I think you already did this, but could you please send me a new System Profile:

1. Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
2. Click the "Admin" > "System Profile" Menu
3. Click the "Download Profile" button
4. Save the profile.zip file and share the file in a private message and then reply to this post to bring it up in the queue.

I need to load it so I can look at the contacts, contact groups and services.

BTW for troubleshooting you can "masquerade" as a different user by clicking on the "eyeball" on the Admin, Manage Users page:
Image008.jpg
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aylesworth

Post by aylesworth »

Sent via PM!
aylesworth

Post by aylesworth »

Any update on this? Thanks!