Service Check Timeouts

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: Service Check Timeouts

Post by ssax »

Yes, that is the profile I was referencing, I would still make the changes requested as it would be recommended based on the logs.

So you're still seeing timeouts after the load issues have been resolved?

Send the output of these commands as root (I added another command):

Code: Select all

ulimit -a
su -s /bin/bash -c 'ulimit -a' nagios
su -s /bin/bash -c 'ulimit -a' mysql
su -s /bin/bash -c 'ulimit -a' apache
netstat -s
ethtool -S eth0
sar -A
Please PM me another FRESH copy of your profile.zip as well so I can see the latest logs, that will give me more accurate information to go on.

Thank you!
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

May i have an update? I had PM in the Outbox to @ssax, seems like they were received
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @Dusan.Mandic

Sorry about the delay, @ssax is out of the office and want to have you follow up and send the info and System Profile over so we can take a look at things.
ssax wrote:Yes, that is the profile I was referencing, I would still make the changes requested as it would be recommended based on the logs.

So you're still seeing timeouts after the load issues have been resolved?

Send the output of these commands as root (I added another command):

Code: Select all

ulimit -a
su -s /bin/bash -c 'ulimit -a' nagios
su -s /bin/bash -c 'ulimit -a' mysql
su -s /bin/bash -c 'ulimit -a' apache
netstat -s
ethtool -S eth0
sar -A
Please PM me another FRESH copy of your profile.zip as well so I can see the latest logs, that will give me more accurate information to go on.
Thanks,
Perry
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

Pm'd the profile a couple of days ago
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @Dusan.Mandic

Have you thought about upgrading to NDO3?

Let me know your thoughts,
Perry

p.s.
We're moving to a new support system!

The Nagios Answer Hub is a place where you can get help with technical questions from our experts. There, you can quickly open tickets and join discussion boards.

Request Nagios Answer Hub access here: https://info.nagios.com/answer-hub-access-new-users

After completing the access form, you will be given access to a portal where new tickets can be created. We will keep the old customer forum sections and ticket system available for current cases to be resolved.
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

How certain are we that would lead to a solution for those service check timeouts?

Have any users experienced any issues after attempting DB upgrade?
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

@pbroste

any answer to above?
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @Dusan.Mandic

To answer your inquiries;
How certain are we that would lead to a solution for those service check timeouts?
Definite advantages to NDO3, in that the messages are not queued up. We would suspect that the load on resources is similar or a bit less.
Have any users experienced any issues after attempting DB upgrade?
We provide instructions on how to upgrade but recommend a backup just in case something goes wonky.

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/u ... i-885.html

Thanks,
Perry
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

Installed NDO3DB but it looks like all the timeouts are occuring at once now. ill give it a while to optimize.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @Dusan.Mandic

Let's go ahead and let things run for a bit and look at this again; revisit this on this in Answer Hub when we start to see things act up again. We definitely require attention to logging so we can dial any other optimizations in. However, looking over the history, I believe that we have implemented all optimal settings and configs.

Quoting a previous response. As we advance, the environment is tipping towards the max hosts and services that one server can efficiently handle. We recommended max is 20k; that is only a recommendation because it depends heavily on the type of service checks and the number of hosts, etc.

You can only do so much on a single XI server, you'll need to do what you can to mitigate the impact, but you should start looking at adding another XI server soon if you continue to experience load/kernel message queue/performance issues after doing the mitigation.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can clarify anything.

Thanks,
Perry
We're moving to a new support system!

The Nagios Answer Hub is a place where you can get help with technical questions from our experts. There, you can quickly open tickets and join discussion boards.

Request Nagios Answer Hub access here: https://info.nagios.com/answer-hub-access-new-users