Alarm sms notification has stopped working

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
dslaughter

Alarm sms notification has stopped working

Post by dslaughter »

My sms alarm notification has stopped working. I can still send a test sms from user menu and it is successful. When looking at logs it looks like the test uses a FQDN and the real alarm notification is not using the FQDN. I have mail logs and profile I can send via private message.
pbroste

Re: Alarm sms notification has stopped working

Post by pbroste »

Hello @dslaughter

Thanks for reaching out, understand that you have collected the logs and System Profile and want to also get the following:

Please go to Admin > Manage Email Settings:
- Make sure Logging is checked
- Click the Update Settings button

Then run this tail command as root (and leave it running):

Code: Select all

tail -Fn0 /var/log/maillog /usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp/phpmailer.log /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/eventman.log /var/log/httpd/error_log /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log >> /tmp/results.txt
And

journalctl -u postfix -f >> /tmp/postfix.txt
You can break these two commands when you have completed the sending on test SMS messages.

Then masquerade as one of them that isn't receiving the verification code. After masquerading enter this in your address bar and hit enter to resend the verification code:
- Change YOURXISERVER

http://YOURXISERVER/nagiosxi/account/notifymethods.php?sendkey=1
Then PM me the full output from the still running tail command after about 30 seconds have passed.

PM me a copy of your profile.zip as well, you can download it from Admin > System Profile by clicking the Download Profile button.

Thanks,
Perry
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

It looks like AT&T were blocking the real alarms. The test alert always worked. Using the test I received email and sms but if a real alarm came in I only got the email.

Why would the test deliver and the real alarm fail? I can send the logs I have if you think it will help find the difference between the test and real alarm sms.

I sent the profile in my snmp question if you want to go over it.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Hello @dslaughter

Thanks for following up, good to know that the test SMS works. We see that from the previous System Profile that was sent over that the service check was executed but 'No message to process'. Want to do some further checking into this:

Example:
SERVICE CHECK -> Host Name: 'nagiosxi-da1', Service Description: 'DA1 rantcellSMSTest', Return Code: '0', Output: 'No messages to process'
Want to get the Eventman and cmdsys logs so we can see what is going on:

tar -czvf /tmp/eventlogs.tar.gz /usr/loca/nagiosxi/var/ /var/log/messages/ /var/log/syslog /usr/local/nagios/var/*.log
Please send over the '/tmp/eventlogs.tar.gz' via Private Message.

Thanks,
Perry

p.s.
We're moving to a new support system!

The Nagios Answer Hub is a place where you can get help with technical questions from our experts. There, you can quickly open tickets and join discussion boards.

Request Nagios Answer Hub access here: https://info.nagios.com/answer-hub-access-new-users

After completing the access form, you will be given access to a portal where new tickets can be created. We will keep the old customer forum sections and ticket system available for current cases to be resolved.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

dslaughter wrote:It looks like AT&T were blocking the real alarms. The test alert always worked. Using the test I received email and sms but if a real alarm came in I only got the email.

Why would the test deliver and the real alarm fail? I can send the logs I have if you think it will help find the difference between the test and real alarm sms.

I sent the profile in my snmp question if you want to go over it.
Wondering if does not recognize the "contact" or phone number that it is coming from and is getting blocked. Are they the same contact/phone number from the test message versus the alert?

Thanks,
Perry
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

Sorry for late reply. I was unexpectedly out for several days. I'll gather the information and send tomorrow.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Excellent @dslaughter will wait for further response,

Thanks,
Perry
dslaughter

Post by dslaughter »

Sorry for the late reply. Go ahead and close this topic. If I experience this problem again I'll secure the logs.
pbroste

Post by pbroste »

Thanks for following up @dslaughter

Closing ticket

Regards,
Perry