Automatic Services Monitoring, nsclient++ to NCPA move

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jrader

Automatic Services Monitoring, nsclient++ to NCPA move

Post by jrader »

Hello,

We have been monitoring Windows servers using the nsclient++ for years and are looking to move to the NCPA agent. We monitor Automatic Services on these Windows servers, so any service that is set to 'Automatic' start will alert if it's not running. There doesn't appear to be a way to do this easily with NCPA. I understand you can monitor selected services but those would have to be manually selected and removed/added from monitoring as opposed to monitoring any Automatic start service.

Additionally, we have customized the config files for the nsclient agent, for certain checks for example. Is there a way out there to make this easier to migrate to NCPA?
gormank

Re: Automatic Services Monitoring, nsclient++ to NCPA move

Post by gormank »

I'm not sure if it helps or if it's what you're using but I was on the exchange looking for something else and saw an automatic service check.
I need to convert to ncpa as well but haven't so I can't provide any real insight...
jrader

Post by jrader »

Is this the one you found : https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... es/details ?

Looks like it may be helpful but I'll have to dig into it more
jrader

Post by jrader »

I tested the Powershell to check Automatic Services, but I still need to find a way to exclude certain services. Also need a way to check large disk like we do with the NSClient now (not based on % but on GB free). Anyone done this?
dynamicnagios

Post by dynamicnagios »

Is there any significant reason to migrate over to NCPA? We're in the same boat, and I know the Nagios team officially supports/develops NCPA but I haven't seen a feature that justifies the work required to migrate yet. Aside from the obvious that NSClient 5.x appears to be wonky with the latest versions of Nagios CORE.
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

jrader wrote:I tested the Powershell to check Automatic Services, but I still need to find a way to exclude certain services. Also need a way to check large disk like we do with the NSClient now (not based on % but on GB free). Anyone done this?

Code: Select all

./check_ncpa.py -H <yourIPaddress> -t '<your token>' -M 'disk/logical/C:|/used' -w 80 -c 90
Fun fact, you can browse NCPA's API to see exactly what metrics you can grab from NCPA. Go to https://<yourserverIPaddress>:5693, (and by yourserverIPaddress, I mean the server you are trying to monitor, not your Nagios Core or XI system), and put in the token for the system. You can click on API, browse the API using the end point navigation on the left side of the screen. And if you hit the "Run As A Nagios Check" box, you'll be presented with everything you need to create an active or passive check, hitting whatever API endpoint you're on.
dynamicnagios wrote:Is there any significant reason to migrate over to NCPA? We're in the same boat, and I know the Nagios team officially supports/develops NCPA but I haven't seen a feature that justifies the work required to migrate yet. Aside from the obvious that NSClient 5.x appears to be wonky with the latest versions of Nagios CORE.
Aside from the feature mentioned above, NCPA also helps you set up passive service checks. If you're not using passive service checks, and you can't find any reason to put in the work for the migration to NCPA, then I would recommend just migrating to NCPA as you deploy new systems.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jrader

Post by jrader »

dynamicnagios wrote:Is there any significant reason to migrate over to NCPA? We're in the same boat, and I know the Nagios team officially supports/develops NCPA but I haven't seen a feature that justifies the work required to migrate yet. Aside from the obvious that NSClient 5.x appears to be wonky with the latest versions of Nagios CORE.
The NSClient++ hasn't been updated since 2018 and seems to have gone dark (on the site and github), so security vulnerabilities are likely going to push people off it. We are running older versions of the NSClient but I imagine there are/will be vulnerabilities and they won't get patched.
jrader

Post by jrader »

mbellerue wrote:
jrader wrote:I tested the Powershell to check Automatic Services, but I still need to find a way to exclude certain services. Also need a way to check large disk like we do with the NSClient now (not based on % but on GB free). Anyone done this?

Code: Select all

./check_ncpa.py -H <yourIPaddress> -t '<your token>' -M 'disk/logical/C:|/used' -w 80 -c 90
Fun fact, you can browse NCPA's API to see exactly what metrics you can grab from NCPA. Go to https://<yourserverIPaddress>:5693, (and by yourserverIPaddress, I mean the server you are trying to monitor, not your Nagios Core or XI system), and put in the token for the system. You can click on API, browse the API using the end point navigation on the left side of the screen. And if you hit the "Run As A Nagios Check" box, you'll be presented with everything you need to create an active or passive check, hitting whatever API endpoint you're on.
Thank you. What I'm testing now is using Powershell scripts for Automatic Services and Disk Space checks with customization for our needs.