Monitoring Windows with SNMP Walk Wizard

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
NuxibaNOC

Monitoring Windows with SNMP Walk Wizard

Post by NuxibaNOC »

Hello there. I´m a beginner and I would like to setup a Host (processes and services) to be monitored using the SNMP Walk wizard, but I do not know any of the MIB's/OID's . I´m just seeing things like SNMPv2-SMI: enterprises.77.1.1.1.0 and so on. I know there is a Windows SNMP Wizard which gives me everything, but I want to learn how to set up everything like the Windows SNMP Wizard does using the SNMP Walk. Would you be so kind to guide me through this process?
gormank

Re: Monitoring Windows with SNMP Walk Wizard

Post by gormank »

What I would do is set up a check using the wizard, then look at the service it creates to see how it works. The services created with wizards should be changed to make them generic so they can be used on any applicable host.
Chances are you'll need to install the Windows MIBs, and any generic MIBs that aren't already on the Nagios host.
NuxibaNOC

Post by NuxibaNOC »

Thank you.
I already was able to monitor my hosts. I asked the manufacturer to provided me with the MIB files necessary and uploaded into Nagios. Once this was done, all of the OIDs were understandable when using the SNMP walk.
SandraLewisFrin

Post by SandraLewisFrin »

We're also using CheckMK. First, we started with the free version. Switched then to the enterprise version because of some features (agent bakery) only available there and because we wanted to support the company (they renamed the company to Tribe29, the product itself still is called CheckMK).

It's the best monitoring solution I've ever used.

We're a service provider. For us, a monitoring solution has to scale well and we need to separate our customers from each other, but still want a global view. All is easely possible with CheckMK.

Was visiting the CheckMK conference this year. Could speak with the Devs and they're implementing a lot of cool stuff (docker monitoring, cloud monitoring and so on....). Also support is very helpful and responds quickly (only with enterprise version available).

We mainly monitor Windows and Linux servers, Cisco and Aruba networking gear but also VMware, Checkpoint, Nutanix hosts and omegle shagle IBM/3PAR storage.
Last edited by SandraLewisFrin on Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HereturbiesWalt

Post by HereturbiesWalt »

We use SolarWinds NPM with Netflow to monitor servers and networks, but my new bosses don't like the the continued cost of it every year and have asked me to look into open source variants.

These are what I've found out:

Cacti

Nagios Core

Icinga (fork of Nagios)

Zabbix

LibreNMS (fork of Observium)

Prtg (free)

I'm going to install a couple, but are there any I should give a miss and not waste my time on, or 1-2 I should absolutely give try?
EdwardSMaTeresa

Post by EdwardSMaTeresa »

OpManager lets you create SNMP trap processors with ease. You can either import SNMP Traps directly from the SNMP MIB file or create the processor from the unsolicited traps under Alarms view. When no trap processors are created, OpManager by default detects the trap from a managed device and lists them under "Unsolicited traps". Only processed traps are listed as events in OpManager.