Nagios instances

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
bramon

Nagios instances

Post by bramon »

Hi,

I learned previously that Nagios XI License is entitled to 3 installations (Prod, Test/Dev, DR)

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... s-145.html

Is there a detailed documentation on the capabilities and function of DR and Test/Dev instances? On DR instance, is it designed to monitor only the Production Nagios XI server? Or is it going to take over the function of Prod when it detects that Prod server is down? Is there a sync/fallback mechanism between Prod and DR? On the test instance, can we configure the same host and service checks configured in Prod, maybe without the actual alerting? Or is it used for testing of Nagios upgrade only?
gormank

Re: Nagios instances

Post by gormank »

The last time I checked, Nagios has no high availability features. There was a 3rd party offering HA for Nagios discussed in a nagios webinar several years ago but I have no more info on that.
You could make a script to back up the NXI DB, restore it on the second server and copy whatever files you want from the first server.
As far as I know, the test server license doesn't give permission to actively monitor anything. You could create a nagios core server that only monitors the nagios related stuff on your 01 and 02 servers though.