The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstr

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Network Analyzer, our network traffic and bandwidth analysis solution.
gavindebeer

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstr

Post by gavindebeer »

Hi there,

Receiving this when trying to log into NA. I'm not sure if any recent change might have brought this error.

I've tried the suggestions at the bottom of the referenced post to no avail.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=63135

Any ideas, or which log files to investigate? There's nothing popping out in the few logs that I have checked.

Thanks.
MurbiesWalkw

Re: The gateway did not receive a timely response from the u

Post by MurbiesWalkw »

The Reddit 504 error means that users are experiencing issues due to a “gateway timeout” which often pops up if the site is down.
A message saying ‘504 gateway timeout’ shows up on a white background which a number of Reddit users have reported about at this time.
The message means that a web server does not receive a timely response for the page content to load to users.
There can be several reasons behind this ussie but the error message usually appears when the social media site is too busy.
The website redditstatus.com has reported about the issue and a message currently says: “We have received reports that chat is not loading or only working intermittently for some users and are chatrandom echat investigating the issue.”
Last edited by MurbiesWalkw on Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medicationpower

Re: The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstr

Post by medicationpower »

The Reddit 504 error indicates that users are having problems as a result of a "gateway timeout," which frequently occurs when the site is unavailable. geometry dash
swolf
Developer

Re: The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstr

Post by swolf »

Hi @gavindebeer, thanks for reaching out.

Typically, 504 errors happen because one or more components of the web server are either turned off or overloaded - usually, you won't see anything in the logs when this happens. Two quick things to check:

1) Is apache running?
You should be able to run either

Code: Select all

service httpd status
or

Code: Select all

service apache2 status
, depending on the distribution you're using for NNA.

2) Is your firewall configured properly?
This gets more complicated, since every distribution seems to use a different firewall. I would try turning off iptables or firewalld or ufw or whatever runs by default on your distribution. If that resolves the 504 errors, I would turn the firewall back on and add a rule to allow traffic on ports 80 and 443.

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

-Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy