How can I resolve the issue of bandwidth.rrd files not updating?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Network Analyzer, our network traffic and bandwidth analysis solution.
HimesTimmerla

How can I resolve the issue of bandwidth.rrd files not updating?

Post by HimesTimmerla »

I have recently installed Nagios Network Analyzer version 2.4.2 on RHEL8.4, and I'm experiencing an issue with the bandwidth.rrd files not updating automatically. Let me summarize the current situation:

The nfcapd files are being populated successfully and have been confirmed using the command "nfdump -r <nfcapd.???>".
In the web UI, I can see the top 5 talkers without any problem.
However, the bandwidth.rrd files only update when I manually stop and start the sources from the web UI. Once I perform this action, the bandwidth.rrd files for the specific sources I restarted begin to update and display data in the web UI.
The issue arises after a system reboot or when restarting the nagiosna.service, as the files stop updating until I manually go into the web UI and repeat the stop/start process for all 74 configured sources. This workaround is not practical in the long run.
Upon checking the backend.log file, I noticed that it remains empty and shows no errors until I manually stop/start the sources through the web UI.
I have also compared the processes and found no discernible differences between them.
In an attempt to troubleshoot the problem further, I disabled nagiosna.service from starting on boot, restarted the server, and manually initiated nagiosna.service. However, even with these changes, the bandwidth.rrd files still fail to update unless I perform the stop/start action in the web UI.

After reviewing various forum posts, I have verified that the time zone configuration matches, eliminating that as a potential cause.

Given the current situation, I'm uncertain about the next steps to resolve this issue and ensure that the sources update correctly. I would greatly appreciate guidance on how to proceed from here.
swolf
Developer

Re: How can I resolve the issue of bandwidth.rrd files not updating?

Post by swolf »

Hi @HimesTimmerla, thanks for reaching out.

This sounds like a bug to me; I'm filing an issue so that we can look into this further.

In the immediate term, there's not much that you can do from the web interface. What I would recommend is that you replicate the functionality of the web interface in your own startup scripts.

For reference, this command stops a source:

Code: Select all

sudo -u nna /usr/local/nagiosna/bin/rc.py stop $source_name
this command starts a source:

Code: Select all

sudo -u nna /usr/local/nagiosna/bin/rc.py start $source_name
If I were you, I'd probably address this by creating a systemd service or init script that runs on startup (after the network connects, and possibly after nagiosna.service starts), iterates through every source, and restarts the source using the commands above. Otherwise, we'll see if we can reproduce the issue on our end to get the bug fixed in the next release.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy