Why does the Bits/sec view differ from the byte view?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Network Analyzer, our network traffic and bandwidth analysis solution.
KayesPotrinak

Why does the Bits/sec view differ from the byte view?

Post by KayesPotrinak »

As I'm reviewing the summary view of a datasource on our ASR9K router, I notice that the bytes view for a particular moment in time indicates 1.4 gigabytes, which roughly aligns with what we see in our Cacti instance for the same timeframe when converted to bits. However, when I switch to Bits/sec, it displays around 31 M bits/sec for that same period, which seems a bit perplexing. Is there something I'm missing in my understanding of this view?
HimesTimmerla

Re: Why does the Bits/sec view differ from the byte view?

Post by HimesTimmerla »

It's great that you're reviewing the summary view of a datasource on your ASR9K router and comparing it to the data in your Cacti instance. The difference you're observing between the bytes view and the Bits/sec view can be explained by how the two measurements are calculated and displayed.

In the bytes view, you mentioned that you observed 1.4 gigabytes for a particular moment in time. When you convert this to bits, you would multiply it by 8 (since there are 8 bits in a byte), resulting in 11.2 gigabits. This aligns with what you see in your Cacti instance when converted to bits.

However, when you switch to the Bits/sec view, it displays around 31 M bits/sec for the same period. This value represents the rate of data transfer over time, specifically the number of bits transmitted per second during that timeframe. It's important to note that this value is not the total accumulated data but rather the average rate over the given period.

The reason you're observing a lower value in the Bits/sec view is because it represents the average rate of data transfer over that period, whereas the bytes view represents the total amount of data transferred. The average rate can be influenced by fluctuations in network traffic, varying data transfer speeds, or other factors affecting the data flow during the measured timeframe.

In summary, the bytes view provides you with the total data transferred, while the Bits/sec view gives you the average rate of data transfer over time. The difference in values is due to the nature of the measurements and should not be a cause for concern.
Zubairsk

Post by Zubairsk »

It seems like there might be a discrepancy in your understanding of the different units of data transmission rates. Let's break it down to clarify:

1. Bytes (B): This unit represents the amount of data being transmitted. In your case, you observed 1.4 gigabytes (GB), which is equivalent to 1.4 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes.

2. Bits (b): A bit is the smallest unit of data and is often used to measure data transmission rates. There are 8 bits in a byte. To convert bytes to bits, you multiply by 8. So, 1.4 GB is equal to 1.4 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 8 bits.

Now, let's consider the time aspect:

3. Bits per second (bps): This unit measures the rate of data transfer over time. In your case, you mentioned a rate of 31 Mbits/sec, which means 31 million bits are being transmitted per second.

To reconcile the two views, we need to consider the time duration for which these measurements were taken. If the 1.4 gigabytes measurement represents data transmitted over a longer period than the 31 Mbits/sec measurement, it is possible for the byte count to be larger while the transmission rate is lower.

To better understand the discrepancy, you should verify the time intervals for which these measurements were captured. It's also important to ensure that the units are consistent when comparing data sizes and transmission rates.
jnbut

Post by jnbut »

A potential reason might involve the time intervals utilized for data compilation. Ensure that you're analyzing data across identical timeframes in both perspectives. Additionally, investigate the presence of any conversion variables or scaling adjustments applied in the Bits/sec view that could potentially impact the presented measurement. Should the issue continue, my recommendation is to get in touch with the technical support unit or refer to the ASR9K router documentation for a more comprehensive insight.
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

Hi @KayesPotrinak, thanks for reaching out.

I agree that the original behavior is odd, and I've filed a bug report for this.
All of these responses look like GPT spam (at least to me), and this thread is from months ago. I'm going to lock the thread, please feel free to create a new one if you want to continue discussion.

-Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy