Can Nagios XI be customized to add custom states?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
KilbertVangriala

Can Nagios XI be customized to add custom states?

Post by KilbertVangriala »

I'm currently using Nagios XI, and I have configured three states of alerts: CRITICAL, WARNING, and OK. However, I have a specific requirement to add a custom hard state called FATAL for extreme issues, such as when the server or a specific component (in this case, a Java jar component) is down. Presently, when the host is down, I receive a "DOWN" message, and when the component is down, I receive a "URL Status is CRITICAL" notification. But I want to modify it to display "URL Status is FATAL" instead. I would like to know if it's possible to add this custom state in Nagios and how I can accomplish it.
kg2857

Re: Can Nagios XI be customized to add custom states?

Post by kg2857 »

Nagios sets service/host status based on the return value (0-3) of the check plugin. The text output is meaningless to the alert status.
You can edit the plugin if it's a script, or edit the source and recompile if it's a binary. You could use the negate command to change critical text to fatal.