Disable notifications on some services on all systems

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kbauma01

Disable notifications on some services on all systems

Post by kbauma01 »

Hello,

I've got ~600 Red Hat servers that need to have some service notifications/alerts disabled on every server but not all service checks. Mostly the core linux stuff - CPU/MEM/Disk Space/etc. but there are application checks that I need to have alert us on so I cannot disable all notifications.

I assume someone has done this before, can you point me in the right direction (or article).

Thanks.
swolf
Developer

Re: Disable notifications on some services on all systems

Post by swolf »

Hi @kbauma01, thanks for reaching out.

Personally, this is something I'd solve with scripting.

Here is the link to our external command documentation. You should be able to set up a python or shell script that allows you to communicate though this API.

The link to the external command reference looks broken, but you can check here for similar information. You'd still need to get a list of all hosts that have the specific service you're looking to disable, but that should be much more tractible than the problem you started with.

Let me know if that helps, and feel free to post any other questions or concerns.

-Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
kg2857

Post by kg2857 »

Whether a service runs on a managed host should be defined on the nagios host so it should be an easy change. This is assuming that you use an agent such as nrpe or ncpa. Edit the service .cfg file and disable the service.
Butters

Post by Butters »

You may try use define Service Group for your services and then manage them with Service Group section (disable notifications, schedule donwtime etc...)

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... rvicegroup