upgrade logserver 2014R1 fails on sendmail service

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
CBoekhuis

upgrade logserver 2014R1 fails on sendmail service

Post by CBoekhuis »

Hi,
the upgrade is unsuccessfull when upgrading from 2.1.15 to 3.0.00.
Upgrade stops at systemctl restart sendmail.
We use the default postfix that comes whith redhat 9. After replacing sendmail with postfix in the upgrade script it looks like upgrade is successfully.
Can you confirm this is the correct solution?

Regards,
Christian
jsimon

Re: upgrade logserver 2014R1 fails on sendmail service

Post by jsimon »

Hi Christian,

I don't believe this is necessarily the correct solution, despite the successful install, as you most likely will not be able to use this server to send mail using postfix. I'm personally not sure if postfix will simply work with the phpmail options within the Mail Settings menu, if it does this may be a functional workaround for you. If not, I would recommend rolling back and trying the upgrade again, if you are not able to troubleshoot getting sendmail to start up. What errors do you get when you try to start sendmail yourself at the CLI?

Code: Select all

systemctl restart sendmail
CBoekhuis

Post by CBoekhuis »

Hi jsimon,

replying on Christians behalve, I ran the email test from the email settings page and it works fine with postfix. It always has been in previous versions, just like sendmail.
However, if I'm correct, since RHEL8, Red Hat swapped sendmail for postfix as default. So it would be better to at least build a test case around the "systemctl restart" in the upgrade script to see which of the 2 predominant services are enabled and restart the enabled one (and in any other situation please throw a warning message).

Kind Regards,
Hans
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

Hello Christian and/or Hans,

Thanks for the clarification - I've filed an issue for this, and we'll try to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Regards,
Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy