nagios core 3.0.6 migration project ..

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
madadmin

nagios core 3.0.6 migration project ..

Post by madadmin »

Hello my dear Nagios friends!

I need some advice to my project to reyouth our productive Nagios server.

Here some Background infos:

We have an stonage Nagios Service (3.0.6) running on an stonmage Opensuse 11.1 physical server.
The one who set everything up is noch there anymore - as you could probably know from own other projects.
And the Nagios has been only set up once and since then just filled with quite a lot of devices(500) and services(over 2K)

First i tried to setup an Ubuntu 22 vserver and copy the config and use the config check script to work my way through the errors until everything is fine again.
After almost a week i got an error i could not find the cause, because at the mentioned line there was everything commented out for at least 10-20 lines above and beneath.

For my next Solution i thought i recreate the on prem server 1:1 as VM and use the OpenSuSE upgrade install feature.
I really have now a copy of the old server as vm with all Data running.(happy!)
I successfully upgraded the vm from 11.1 to 11.4, but then i got in an issue the Xen hypervisor has with OpenSuSE 12.1:
I cant even install an vm with the opensuse image:i can choose to install, but the install gui doesnt appear.
I tried to exprt the vhd and add it in VMware Player / VirtualBox but there are missing driver or something, that cant be fixed with the repairinstallation of the OpenSuSE image.
I tried to install the latest Nagios Core 3 version in Ubuntu server 22 and other variations of combinations with opensuse for example and at least run in the config error mentioned above.

Im now rather clueless and need an inspiration what you could suggest me to a diffrent alternative/s

The problem is the config files are really unsorted.
Theyre are 5-6 Files with 2k up to 14K lines with almost no order i try to avoid to make just everything new.

And nobody of my people has any clue of the Nagios server, more than just adding stuf.
I want to optimize the config files over time and keep my sanity(of whats left uptil now)
I even tried to let Chat GPT do some adjustments, but it broke while it was outputting and after rerun it spat out where the old output stopped...

My stomach wants me to rebuild the old nagios version in VMware and try to upgrade again, but i want to hear some more suggestions and hints.
Maybe somebody has alerady made a similar "experience" and can share theyr thoughts.

Thank you very much in advance!
kabamaru

Re: nagios core 3.0.6 migration project ..

Post by kabamaru »

Hi

I've never had to migrate nagios yet but I would just create a new nagios 4 setup and slowly move files across. Yes it will take time but there is already a working nagios instance.

Moving your old nagios 3 config files to a new nagios 3 setup will only create more problems in the future for you. Is best you move to nagios 4.
I think you should go back to your first attempt. Set up a working nagios 4 instance and move .cfg files across from nagios 3. You can post any errors you encounter during the process in this forum and I believe people will try to advise/help.
madadmin

Re: nagios core 3.0.6 migration project ..

Post by madadmin »

Hello!
I tried in the first run to migrate the configs from the old Version tho a new server with the most current version, but got an error at a line where nothing was un #deactivated.
My idea now is to copy jus a folder at a time and run the checks.

When i have to start from zero again then there is the possibility that we switch to a diffrent monitoring alternative.

Thank you!