how to setup warning and critical notification intervals separately

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
summej

how to setup warning and critical notification intervals separately

Post by summej »

Hello everyone,

My very first post here. I consider myself still new to NagiosXI.

I appreciate a lot for any information or suggestions.

right now, my services are configured to send out notification emails every hour ( when the status is in one of w,c,r,u,r,f, if notification_options is not defined manually, right? ). for example, this is one of my "service" config. 2 contact emails,operations,windows-support, gets emails every hour.

define service {
host_name MyHost
service_description Virtual Memory Usage
use xiwizard_windowssnmp_storage
check_command check_xi_service_snmp_win_storage! -C Community --v2c -m 'Virtual Memory' -w 75 -c 85 -f!!!!!!!
max_check_attempts 5
check_interval 5
retry_interval 1
check_period xi_timeperiod_24x7
notification_interval 60
notification_period xi_timeperiod_24x7
contacts operations,windows-support
_xiwizard windowssnmp
register 1
}

what i want to have is, if the service is in "warning" status, send email to one contact once a day. if the service turns into "critical", an email is sent immediately and resent every hour to a different group and trigger escalation if the critical occurs more than 3 notifications.

is there a way to achieve this ?

thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions.
kbauma01

Re: how to setup warning and critical notification intervals separately

Post by kbauma01 »

I had a similar request from our database team. If there was a warning, send to one email; critical send to a different email. The only way I got this to work is to have two separate checks for the same alert. One was set to warning only, the other was set to critical only.
jsimon

Post by jsimon »

Hi @summej,

It sounds like Host/Service Escalations are most likely what you are looking for. I've provided a link explaining how to set this up and maintain it below:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ations.pdf

Please let us know if you need any assistance with this, or if it doesn't quite work for your needs but it looks like this should cover what you are looking to do.
summej

Post by summej »

Hello @jsimon,

thanks for your reply.

i have read about the "Escalation". but i am not sure if i understand how it works.

in "Escalation" config, there is this "Escalation Options", which can be "critical/warning/etc".

so if i click only "critical", and set "first/last notification = 1/ 1" , contact = ( something like a pager), does that mean, if the service is turned into critical, nagios will send a notification to that contact immediately?

if i set escalation "notification interval = 1 hour", that will overwrite the service level notification internal ( which could be 1 day), is that right?

so each host/service can have notification for warning only ( with its own contact/internal), and an escalation for "critical" ( with different contact/interval). is that right?
sgardil

Post by sgardil »

Hey @summej

All of these are correct to my knowledge, 1/1 should notify the contacts immediately when the host or service enters the state, the notification specified in the escalation should overwrite the global config for it, and you can create different notification configs for different states with escalations. If you have any further questions let us know!
summej

Post by summej »

thanks @ sgardil,

i will test the escalation config. if i have other questions, i will post here.

appreciate very much for the help.