Scheduled downtime and missed Recovery notification.

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
bimax

Scheduled downtime and missed Recovery notification.

Post by bimax »

Hi everyone,

I am having issue with notifications when using scheduled downtime feature. Here is scenario:

1. Service went to HARD non-OK with notification sent out.
2. We are making periodical server maintenance with "Scheduled downtime" to disable any false positive notifications sent out.
3. Service on the host got recovered switched to HARD OK state. No notifications was sent out.
4. "Scheduled downtime" has been finished.

As a result notifications are still have non-resolved non-OK issues. Which are in fact false positive.

As a suggestion I am thinking of disabling all checks for the "Scheduled downtime", but we have 40+ checks which is quite big list for calling API and taking into account we have about a lot of servers and periodical job it could take long for automation.

Maybe there is more elegant solution?

Thanks!
jsimon

Re: Scheduled downtime and missed Recovery notification.

Post by jsimon »

Hi @bimax,

I'm not sure that I understand the issue that you are having with false positives, or if you are looking for any assistance in that area. If you are trying to modify a bunch of checks across your different monitored hosts, you may be able to accomplish this more efficiently with the Bulk Modification tool.

Configure > Configure Config Manager > Tools > Bulk Modifications Tool

Please advise if you need further assistance with this tool, or if I have misunderstood the issue you are looking for help with.
gwesterman

Re: Scheduled downtime and missed Recovery notification.

Post by gwesterman »

Hi @bimax,

I am also not quite sure exactly what you are looking for, but from my interpretation of your question it sounds like the scheduled downtime feature is working as intended. During scheduled downtime, no notifications will be sent out (including a recovered host that switched to HARD OK). If you want the notification to be sent out and for issues to be resolved, why are you putting host/service into scheduled downtime?

Perhaps you are looking for the Mass Acknowledge feature (in XI - Home -> Incident Management category -> Mass Acknowledge). If you choose the Acknowledge and Schedule Downtime command, you can both schedule downtime for a desired amount of time and acknowledge any existing problems for the host/service.

Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting your question. Thank you!