NagiosXI Upgrade 5.9.0 to 5.11.2 Failed

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
pcappell

NagiosXI Upgrade 5.9.0 to 5.11.2 Failed

Post by pcappell »

Good Morning,

We are experiencing an issue with an upgrade of NagiosXI from 5.9.0 to 5.11.2.
The nagios.log file located in /usr/local/nagios/var/ seems to indicate an NDO failure due to a missing mysql table as well as an unknown column.

A profile.zip has been exported and a copy of nagios.log has been grabbed as well.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Best,
Paul
pcappell

Re: NagiosXI Upgrade 5.9.0 to 5.11.2 Failed

Post by pcappell »

Some additional information,

The Process State under Admin > Monitoring Engine Status is showing as stopped, but the little checkmark next to the username in the upper right hand corner of the webui says it is running. The version number in the bottom left hand corner of the webui also still shows v5.9.0.
Christopheric1

Post by Christopheric1 »

This may or may not be helpful as I am not a guru at doing anything Nagios, but have you tried doing a repair of the database? They have a document on that here: https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tabase.pdf
pcappell

Post by pcappell »

Hey Chrstioheric1, thanks for the response.

I did attempt that yesterday but just ran another one and I did not receive any errors.
Unfortunately I am still receiving the error in /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log that the tables don't exist.

So, the tables that don't exist are "nagios.nagios_timeperiod_exceptions", "nagios.nagios_timeperiod_exclusions", and "nagios.nagios_timeperiod_exception_timeranges".
I performed a 'show tables;' on the nagios database in environments where we have not attempting upgrade (still on 5.9.0), and those tables don't exist there either.

Interestingly, when running repair_databases.sh, those tables don't show in the output from the script. That could just be because the script iterates over existing tables and fixes issues however.

I'm starting to wonder if I jumped too many revisions and those tables were added somewhere in-between 5.9.0 and 5.11.2?
pcappell

Post by pcappell »

Unfortunately we have had to roll back to last known good server backup.
We would need to attempt the upgrade again and assume that it fails in the same way.

I do still have the nagios.log file as well as profile.zip for support.

This seems sort of similar to article viewtopic.php?t=65772.
When we attempt upgrade again and if it fails with the same tables I'm wondering if we could just create the tables if we were provided the schema?

Best,
Paul
ErnestoBlanda

Post by ErnestoBlanda »

When upgrading again fails, getting over itcreating tables will be a bit complicated. Should try.
cnorell
Developer

Post by cnorell »

pcappell,

I'm perusing the forums and came across your thread. Did you end up getting your XI instance upgraded?

Best Regards,

Cory Norell
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.