Default values for check_interval and retry_interval

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kallekutta

Default values for check_interval and retry_interval

Post by kallekutta »

Hi,

According to the documentation the fields check_interval and retry_interval are optional. But what are the default values of these if not set?

I have checked the source code and found what I believe is the default value for check_interval: 5 minutes. Is that correct?

But what about retry_interval? I haven't been able to find that information.
gwesterman

Re: Default values for check_interval and retry_interval

Post by gwesterman »

Hi @kallekutta,

The values for these will either be set by a template the particular host/service is using or directly by the host/service. As far as I know, most templates do indeed use the values of 5 for check_interval and 1 for retry_interval. If they are somehow not set by anything, they will default to 5 and 1, respectively. The unit of time they use is defined by the interval_length which is, by default, set to 60 seconds so the values for check_interval and retry_interval will be in terms of minutes.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you!
kallekutta

Post by kallekutta »

Hi @gwesterman

Thank you very much for this information!

This could be useful to include in the documentation. Is it open source? If so I could create a pull request with this added information.
gwesterman

Post by gwesterman »

Hi @kallekutta,

The code for Nagios Core is open source but our documentation is separate. We will take your suggestion into consideration. For future reference, these values are defined in nagioscore/xodtemplate.c.
kallekutta

Post by kallekutta »

Hi @gwesterman

I understand, thank you. Now I know the default values and this topic can be closed. Thanks for the help!

Nagios is the best!
gwesterman

Post by gwesterman »

Thank you for the suggestion! Glad I could help.