Nagios XI Notification Design

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
adamc817

Nagios XI Notification Design

Post by adamc817 »

Hi All,

I am looking for help configuring notifications in Nagios XI. Currently, there is a single entry for all contacts that contain an Email and Phone Number. When any alert event occurs, 24x7x365 emails and texts are sent to the contacts. No matter if it is a low priority or critical one, at this point no one even responds to alerts...

So I would like to configure Notifications something like:
Email Alerts will be sent for each alert, 24x7x365

CRITICAL - Text sent any time of day
MAJOR- Send Text during waking hours (8 am - 10 pm)
MODERATE - Text sent during working hours (9 am - 5 pm)
Informational/MINOR - No Text

I was thinking that possibly we can create two contacts for users. One that has an email, all alerts will connect to this contact. A second contact that has the phone number, and Critical Alerts will send alerts to both the email and second contact.

But then what about MAJOR Alerts? Or MODERATE? I don't really want 5 contact entries for every contact? There must be a better way.

I am pretty sure I will have a "duh" moment when someone responds, but I am unable to figure out what is the best way to set up this design. Maybe my design is totally wrong?
swolf
Developer

Re: Nagios XI Notification Design

Post by swolf »

Hi @adamc817, thanks for reaching out.

That's an interesting situation, and I'm surprised that I haven't heard it before. Given that you want email alerts to go out at all times, your solution is probably the one I'd go with. Your other option to keep the configuration under control is to write a lot of that logic into your notification command/event handler for text notifications. If your SMS notification command was able to tell whether an event was "critical"/"major"/"moderate"/"minor", it could decide whether it was going to actually send the text vs. write a note into a log if the text didn't send. That solution also isn't ideal, but if your staff is all in one timezone then it could be less work.

Let me know if that helps or if you have any additional questions or concerns.
-Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
adamc817

Re: Nagios XI Notification Design

Post by adamc817 »

Great idea! Let me look into this.