Rollback Config to a snapshot or reset to base non-configure

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
edewerth

Rollback Config to a snapshot or reset to base non-configure

Post by edewerth »

I am looking for the best practice of rolling back to an earlier snapshot. What is the best, cleanest way to do this with the least amount of hassle? I know that you can import the files back but I have noticed they create duplicates of existing objects like services.

Also just out of curiosity, is there a way to dump all of the configuration so I could start over fresh without having to reinstall everything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Eric
mmestnik

Re: Rollback Config to a snapshot or reset to base non-configure

Post by mmestnik »

The data saved in a snapshot is not authoritative, that is it's the compiled form of the source database. The database is not also saved in the snapshot, so there is noting to roll back to.

I'd recommend comparing the files in the snapshot with the settings in CCM. I'm sure there are other-ways, like you pointed out the import tool... though I've read from others that it doesn't "replace" properly.

There is now a system to do a full backup/restore of NagiosXI, it's brand new and I'm not familiar with where it is. I'd check for a document in the library.nagios.com
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

edewerth

Post by edewerth »

Thanks for the feedback and documentation. Much appreciated. I guess I need to take some time to sit down and do some reading through the documentation library.....

Is there any method to reset the database to no configuration? Could I drop the database and use an installation script to recreate it?
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

This feature has been requested previously.

The solution is to use another virtual machine or to reinstall the operating system.