Can't seem to limit users to specific hosts or services

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Thiagoros

Re: Can't seem to limit users to specific hosts or services

Post by Thiagoros »

sgardil wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:53 pm There is the ability to do this with inheritance options. Do you recall what you had set the inheritance options to when running the bulk mod tool? This does sound strange though if you're services have no contacts however they are still getting notified.
It certainly seem strange that services without contacts are still receiving notifications. Check the inheritance options that were set during the bulk mod tool operation, since they may have influenced this behavior. Reviewing and modifying these options could potentially remedy the problem.
jmichaelson

Post by jmichaelson »

@jcgrayjr, were you able to follow through with Thiagoros 's suggestion? If so what did you find?
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Jason
jcgrayjr

Post by jcgrayjr »

@jmichaelson, sorry for the late reply. I didn't get a chance to get back to this thread until today.

So, I am curious about the inheritance options with the bulk modification tool. Would those inheritance options make permanent changes to the hosts and service notifications when I initially used it?

When I did my extensive testing on the issue, I used the bulk modification tool to remove all contacts from all hosts and all service checks inside Nagios XI that I had setup. After contacts and contact groups were removed from everything, from that point on, I did the extensive testing by manually adding either contacts or contacts groups to the hosts and/or the service checks and the same behavior was happening when the bulk modification tool was removed from the adding contacts equation.

Now, when I initially setup everything in Nagios XI and did my first few attempt at adding contacts and/or contact groups to the hosts and service checks, I did use the bulk modification tool and I did not change the inheritance options from what they are initially set as. So, at that time, the inheritance options would have been set to "standard" when using that tool.

I hope this makes sense. I am still reading up on and trying to grasp how the inheritance stuff works in Nagios XI, so please bear with me if I get confused on it.

Also, thank all of you again for the help you have provided.

Thanks,
John
jmichaelson

Post by jmichaelson »

I'm going to have to read up on the inheritance myself in order to get you an educated answer. I'll get back to you soon.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Jason