Recurring Downtime - not working after upgrade to 2024R1.0.1

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
vappukuttan

Recurring Downtime - not working after upgrade to 2024R1.0.1

Post by vappukuttan »

Hello,

Not sure if this has been reported. We have a few "Recurring Downtime" setups for Services. Since the upgrade to 2024R1.0.1 (from 5.11.3), we dont see them triggering at the times its supposed to. This has been causing some un-wanted notifications which should have been suppressed.

What can I check to see whats going on. We checked the "Event Log" and dont see the messages that we expect when the downtime is setup.

Thank you,
Vinod
lgute

Re: Recurring Downtime - not working after upgrade to 2024R1.0.1

Post by lgute »

Hi @vappukuttan, thanks for reaching out.

What OS/version are you running?

This may be related to an issue that has been reported with Ubuntu 22 and Vixie cron.

You could try this, as a temporary work around, after making a backup of the recurring_downtime.php script.

Code: Select all

cp /usr/local/nagiosxi/cron/recurring_downtime.php /usr/local/nagiosxi/cron/recurring_downtime.php.`date +%s`
sed -i '199,208s/^/\/\//' /usr/local/nagiosxi/cron/recurring_downtime.php
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Laura
vappukuttan

Post by vappukuttan »

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response on this. I checked the /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/recurringdowntime.log and I do see a lot of messages with "This script is already running pid" lines. I have made the recommended changes, hopefully the next ones will start to work. I will update this thread if I still see issues.

Thank you again,
Vinod
kvang

Post by kvang »

Hi vappukuttan,

Any update on this? Curious if it worked out or not. :)

Thanks!
tgoodmanzenith

Post by tgoodmanzenith »

I'm running 2024R1.0.1 on RHEL 8 and was experiencing the same issue with reoccurring downtimes not getting scheduled. The following messages were in /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/recurringdowntime.log

Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:01:01 -0800 schedule_downtimes() called
Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:01:01 -0800 This script is already running pid: 249662 /bin/sh -c /usr/bin/php -q /usr/local/nagiosxi/cron/recurring_downtime.php >> /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/recurringdowntime.log 2>&1
I made the changes suggested above and now downtimes are getting scheduled correctly.

The odd thing is that if I ran the following from the command line it worked as expected and scheduled the downtime

sudo su - nagios /usr/bin/php /usr/local/nagiosxi/cron/recurring_downtime.php
sgardil

Post by sgardil »

In our next update we will be changing the way this process works. Currently it stops the process if there is a pid of the same cron job running. It will be changed to make a lockfile if it is running and will run after that lock is cleared. Feel free to keep an eye on our changelog for it to be released.