Invalid password on Nagios Log Server Web GUI even after nagiosadmin password reset

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
NVESMM

Invalid password on Nagios Log Server Web GUI even after nagiosadmin password reset

Post by NVESMM »

Hello.

We are recently having issues logging into the Web GUI for our test environment for our nagios log server with all accounts including our nagiosadmin account. Just in case, we reset the nagiosadmin account via the reset script in /usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/reset_nagiosadmin_password.php but we are still having issues logging into it. It keeps saying invalid password when attempting log on.

We do have access to SSH and that is allowing us to log onto it just fine.
Capture.PNG
Are there any troubleshooting steps or particular logs I should be looking into?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swolf
Developer

Re: Invalid password on Nagios Log Server Web GUI even after nagiosadmin password reset

Post by swolf »

Hi @NVESMM, thanks for reaching out.

Here are some steps to try:

1. If you haven't already, try resetting nagiosadmin's password to something that doesn't contain any whitespace or special characters. As much as this "shouldn't" be something that matters, the password you enter is going through a bash script and then into a NoSQL database that gives special treatment to whitespace, so it doesn't hurt to be safe.

2. If you're still having trouble, try rebooting the server and see if your login works immediately after that reboot.

3. If it does work after reboot, and then starts failing after a few hours, check your RAM and disk usage. When elasticsearch is low on either of these, it'll start giving bad results, which could be the cause of what you're seeing.

If you try these steps and they don't help, I'm going to recommend that you open a case so that our support team can help you troubleshoot your specific environment.

-Sebastian
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
NVESMM

Re: Invalid password on Nagios Log Server Web GUI even after nagiosadmin password reset

Post by NVESMM »

Thank you!

I reset the password again using /usr/local/nagioslogserver/scripts/reset_nagiosadmin_password.sh --password newpasswordhere making sure there aren't any whitespace or special characters.

I also tried to reboot the server and attempted to log in immediately after it was up and no luck. None of our domain accounts are allowing us to log into the Web GUI either.

Do you have any other suggestions aside from the support case?

Thanks again!
jmichaelson

Post by jmichaelson »

THe only thing I can think of is to have you log in to a shell on your log server and execute the following:

Code: Select all

curl http://192.168.0.74:9200/nagioslogserver/user/1
DO NOT post the output here, but notice the string of characters for the password.

Change the password using the script again to something different. Run the same command and see if the encrypted password changes. If it changes, you *should* be able to log in as nagiosadmin with that password.

If you still can't, then I'm afraid you'll have to contact support.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Jason
riahc3

Post by riahc3 »

Nagios Log Server is bugged beyond use.

I recommend use using a ELK stack even though its harder.
jmichaelson

Post by jmichaelson »

If there's a RAM issue with Elasticsearch in Nagios Log Server, there will be a RAM issue with any ELK stack. The good news on that front is that the Elasticsearch part is in the process of being replaced with Opensearch. We can't commit to a release date yet other than to say that its coming soon.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Jason