upgrade mariadb - NAGIOSXI

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
efxSPN

upgrade mariadb - NAGIOSXI

Post by efxSPN »

Good morning,

We have a requirement in our company to update mariadb component used by Nagios XI , because the actual installed version ( 5.5.68 ) has not support for more of ten years ago, for that reason we need to migrate to a newer supported version, upgrading it preferable to version 10.11 (LTS) supported to 26 February 2028 or 10.6 (LTS) with support to 6th July 2026 or if none of this is possible alternatively other supported version could be 10.5 with support to 24th June 2025 ( more info: https://endoflife.date/mariadb )

Could you please help us with this ? which is the recommended way to do that ?, having in mind that mariadb version is to old... is there any guide to do the upgrade for works with Nagios XI ?

Kind regards
jsimon

Re: upgrade mariadb - NAGIOSXI

Post by jsimon »

Hi @efxSPN,

What OS/version is your Nagios XI server running on? XI doesn't package a mariadb version itself, it uses the version installed on the OS you are installing XI on, so my best recommendation if your OS is old as well might be to perform a migration to a newer OS. More detailed steps to upgrade your mariadb version would be OS dependent.

https://answerhub.nagios.com/support/s/ ... I-b36feda0

I've linked a guide for migrating your Nagios XI server above. Please let us know if you run into any more questions along the way!
efxSPN

Post by efxSPN »

Hi @jsimon,

Actually our Nagios XI is running on Centos 7.9, for that reason we must also migrate Nagios installation to a newer supported OS too,
in any case our first try will be to upgrade mariadb version to a newer version as a point of start, later replicate the instalation on a new server with ubuntu 22.04 and finally migrate the data and configuration, i will review the provided info , that can be very useful for the process,

Thank you very much for your help
jmichaelson

Post by jmichaelson »

That upgrade may work, but just so you know, our recommendation is still to set up the new environment and backup/restore your Nagios XI instance to that, rather than try to upgrade the operating system or other components in situ.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Jason