alert settings service configuration

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
rambertnala

alert settings service configuration

Post by rambertnala »

Hi friends. I am using Nagios XI

I want to check a service alert all days at 05:00 AM, only once a day, but i need to establish sending email notification after critical state between 07:00 AM and 18:00 PM

I have created two time periods. First of them, all days at 05:00. Second one alldays between 07:00 and 18:00, and i have configured in check settings and alert settings, defined time periods

When service is chechked at 05:00 AM and detect Critical state, no email sent between hours defined in time period 07:00-18:00

How can i define this service.???.Can anyone help me???

Thanks and regards.
jsimon

Re: alert settings service configuration

Post by jsimon »

Hi @rambertnala,

In order to get what you asked for on this service, I believe you'd want to create a new Time Period and set that as the check_period value for the service. To create the new Time Period, go to Configure > Core Config Manager > Alerting > Time Periods. One you have your new Time Period, go to Monitoring > Services (Still within the Core Config Manager page) and find the service you want to modify, and go to the Check Settings tab. Select your new Time Period.

You can control notification windows for this service with the notification_period setting on the Alert Settings tab for this service. You'll need to create a second Time Period for this as above. You can then set "First Notification Delay" to 2 hours to prevent the alert from being sent between 5:00 and 7:00. Set Max Check Attempts (on Check Settings) to 1 to make it so your 5:00 check is the only one that happens daily.

This is a fairly literal interpretation of what you were asking for in your post. I'm not sure I fully understand your request so it's possible I have misinterpreted what you are trying to accomplish. If it is possible to accomplish your goal by only restricting the notification period, that might be advisable, as only checking one single time per day does not account for false positives or the possibility of a single alert not necessitating a critical response. Please advise if you need any more assistance with this.