Issue with NRPE: Invalid packet version received

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
fanis_imetrix

Issue with NRPE: Invalid packet version received

Post by fanis_imetrix »

Hello,

I'm encountering an issue with NRPE on my setup. When I try to execute the check_updates command remotely using NRPE, I receive the following error message:

CHECK_NRPE: Invalid packet version received from server.
The command (check_updates) returned an invalid return code: -196608|

Could you please provide guidance on how to resolve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
sgardil

Re: Issue with NRPE: Invalid packet version received

Post by sgardil »

Hey @fanis_imetrix

Is this happening after upgrading your Xi? It seems like for a quick fix, a lot of users had success modifying the check_nrpe command to use -2 as an argument. I'll link another thread that has had a pretty thorough talk about this issue if you would like to take a look.

viewtopic.php?t=60566
onsccwg833

Post by onsccwg833 »

fanis_imetrix wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:01 am Hello,

I'm encountering an issue with NRPE on my setup. When I try to execute the check_updates command remotely using NRPE, I receive the following error message:

CHECK_NRPE: Invalid packet version received from server.
The command (check_updates) returned an invalid return code: -196608| Slope Game

Could you please provide guidance on how to resolve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I am trying to monitor a small service on a dummy server via Icinga2 the check_nrpe plugin. I have setup both correctly as I can do the following:

when I run /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H remote-server-ip from the main server I get NRPE v2.15
when I do /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H main-server-ip from the remote server I get the same result.
when I run /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H remote-server-ip -c
check_load I get WARNING - load average: 5.85, 5.67, 5.55|load1=5.850;15.000;30.000;0; load5=5.670;10.000;25.000;0; load15=5.550;5.000;20.000;0;
sgardil

Post by sgardil »

Hey @onsccwg853

Could you clarify if you are also having the same issue as above. Also if so have you tried the quick fix mentioned above and it didnt work?