Service Group shows Services, but any of the Services don't show the Service Group

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
acquala

Service Group shows Services, but any of the Services don't show the Service Group

Post by acquala »

I made a service group, and added dozens of services to it. The config was applied, and it stayed like that since days. Good.

However, in CCM, when I go to any of those individual services, they show no service group under 'Manage Service Groups' (0).

What am I missing?
jsimon

Re: Service Group shows Services, but any of the Services don't show the Service Group

Post by jsimon »

Hi @acquala,

This is due to the method you used to create the service group. You can define a group in two places: either by creating the group and adding services to it, or by defining the group on a specific service. Since you did the first option, you have a file with a host group that contains a list of services that you added to it, but the host group name is not propagated to each service within the group. Basically, this is expected behavior! Let us know if you have issues or further questions.
lgute

Re: Service Group shows Services, but any of the Services don't show the Service Group

Post by lgute »

Hi @acquala, thanks for reaching out.

There are two things going on here.
  1. The relationships only link in one direction. A "Service" added to a "Service Group", through "Service Group Management" should show up greyed out, with a chain icon, if you click the "Manage Service Groups" button in the "Service Management" page of that service. Something like this "Host Management" example...
    ManageHostGroups.png
    ... and vice versa.
  2. There is a bug that is preventing the existing relationship from showing in "Service Management/Manage Service Groups" and erroneously allowing a second relationship in the opposite direction, to be created.
This thread may help explain how Service Groups are supposed to work.

An Issue for this bug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Laura