What Can I Do with Open Source Nagios?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
levihenry

What Can I Do with Open Source Nagios?

Post by levihenry »

I've been hearing a lot about open-source Nagios lately, but I'm not exactly sure what it's capable of. Can someone help clarify what I can do with open-source Nagios? I'm interested in learning about its features, how it works, and any potential benefits it might offer for monitoring systems or networks.
bbahn

Re: What Can I Do with Open Source Nagios?

Post by bbahn »

Hello @levihenry,

Nagios Core (the open source host/service/network monitoring program) allows comprehensive monitoring of network services (SMTP, POP3, HTTP, ICMP, SNMP, SSH, FTP, and many more), host resources (CPU load, disk usage, system logs) across a range of operating systems.
Nagios Core also provides a flexible alerting system, is extremely extensible through plugins and provides several visualizations. You can learn more about Nagios Core at Nagios Core 4 Documentation

Nagios also provides a paid solution, which makes setting up monitoring much simpler and provides a much nicer interface. If you would like to know more, you can learn more at Nagios.com/products/Nagios-XI
April: Actively advancing awesome answers with ardent alliteration, aptly addressing all ambiguities. Amplify your acumen and avail our amicable assistance. Eagerly awaiting your astute assessments of our advice.