Nagios Core Server OS version upgrade.

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
dagrawal

Nagios Core Server OS version upgrade.

Post by dagrawal »

Hi Team,

We have multiple nagios core servers running in our customers environment.
Currently all servers are running with either RHEL8 or Centos8 OS version. Since these are going to be EOL after 30th May, we need to need to upgrade them to either RHEL9 or Centos9 stream.

Please let us know how we can achieve the same.
Is there any document for the same ?
Please let us know the procedure for the same.

NOTE: We need to upgrade server OS version not Nagios core version for now.
naggyohs

Re: Nagios Core Server OS version upgrade.

Post by naggyohs »

I did this recently and it seemed to have gone smoothly. These pretty much cover everything:

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/m ... r-892.html
https://answerhub.nagios.com/support/s/ ... I-b36feda0
dagrawal

Post by dagrawal »

Hi naggyohs,

Thanks for your response.
The links which you have provided are for NagiosXi not for Nagios Core.

I want to know how to perform OS migration for the servers in which Nagios core is installed not NagiosXi.
sgardil

Post by sgardil »

Hey dagrawal

Is it safe to assume the servers you are migrating to are also just core and not XI? I ask cause Xi has an option in its gui to migrate servers that works with core. Otherwise the best instructions I have found so far is to scp files to the new server. I'll add links to the webpage talking about what files to transfer but like always make sure to do snapshots so you arent having to rebuild if things dont work out. I will mention I havn't tried migrating a core before so I can't confirm that this option will work but its the best I found.

https://bobcares.com/blog/nagios-migrat ... ux-server/
If the new server has XI you should be able to just use the migrate server option in admin mentioned here:
https://nagiosenterprises.my.site.com/s ... e%20Server.
dagrawal

Post by dagrawal »

Hello sgardil,

We don't need to migrate Nagios core to NagiosXI.
We need to upgrade the OS version of the server from RHEL8 to RHEL9 in which nagios core is installed.
cnorell
Developer

Post by cnorell »

dagrawal,

While I've never attempted to upgrade an OS version on a Core server myself, I suspect your best bet is going to be to back up the Core config files somewhere, spin up a CentOS 9 machine, install Core on the new machine and drop your backed up config files in place for each instance. I'm not aware of any quick-and-easy way to do what you're trying to do, but perhaps someone with more Core experience will enlighten us.

Best Regards,

Cory Norell
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
naggyohs

Post by naggyohs »

dagrawal wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 pm Hi naggyohs,

I want to know how to perform OS migration for the servers in which Nagios core is installed not NagiosXi.
Apologies, I misunderstood. You posted this in the Nagios XI section. You should post in viewforum.php?f=7 if you're using the free/opensource version.
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

naggyohs wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:21 pm
dagrawal wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 pm Hi naggyohs,

Apologies, I misunderstood. You posted this in the Nagios XI section. You should post in viewforum.php?f=7 if you're using the free/opensource version.
Thanks for the call-out; I've moved the topic.
dagrawal wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:01 pm Hi Team,

We have multiple nagios core servers running in our customers environment.
Currently all servers are running with either RHEL8 or Centos8 OS version. Since these are going to be EOL after 30th May, we need to need to upgrade them to either RHEL9 or Centos9 stream.

Please let us know how we can achieve the same.
Is there any document for the same ?
Please let us know the procedure for the same.

NOTE: We need to upgrade server OS version not Nagios core version for now.
For most Nagios Core users, a complete monitoring environment involves installing and utilizing several other components - some popular ones include pnp4nagios, nagioSQL, mod-gearman, and livestatus. Upgrading Nagios Core itself shouldn't be too hard - just build the program on CentOS/RHEL 9 as if you're installing for the first time, and move your /usr/local/nagios folder to the new server. If you've set up web users, you'll also need to move or rebuild the htpasswd file. If any of your plugins rely on data from outside the mentioned directory, move that information, too. The challenge will lie with whatever other dependencies you use - each of the ones I've mentioned will maintain some additional information that needs to be moved or rebuilt, and there isn't going to be a single document for that.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy