Software Version

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
AngeloMileto

Software Version

Post by AngeloMileto »

My goal is to check the version of a package installed on both Windows and Linux hosts. I need a way to show if the version is equal to a known good service/package version and if not return a warning/critical error.

Is this possible without adding a bash,bat or ps script file to every single host that I am trying to check.

Also this instance of XI is on a system/network that is fully isolated so I can't just copy/download any additional plugins. All hosts are currently check with ncpa agent/plugin.
cnorell
Developer

Re: Software Version

Post by cnorell »

@AngeloMileto,

Unless you want to check the package versions via SSH, I believe you're going to need to put a plugin and an executor (NCPA in this case) on each host you want to check.

If you're going to write your own, here are the plugin development guidelines.

I think that's a decent idea for an integration - checking user-specified package versions - I'll make note of it internally.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
AngeloMileto

Re: Software Version

Post by AngeloMileto »

@cnorell

I appreciate the input and I didn't create/setup this system - just inherited the task of fixing it :)

It was setup - mixed Windows/Linux environment - using ncpa I'm guessing to maintain some level of consistency. So I'm trying to live within those confines.

I did find the plugin dev guidlines but not any good enough examples to help me get it done. If I need to install that on every host as well, is there a simple way within XI to actually push the file if it doesn't exist???? If not, I'll have to find a way to get it there or maybe have it on a network file share?

So do you have any examples of a simple bash and ps/batch to do the comparison? I'm guessing I would write the service check in XI specifying the expected version and then on the host it would capture that parameter, execute whatever was needed on the host to get the installed one and a simple x = y comparison to return a pass/fail?

Appreciate the help!