NTP Time Drift

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
AngeloMileto

NTP Time Drift

Post by AngeloMileto »

There was another thread on this but didn't see a full solution so need to ask again.
My goal is to check the time of a host machine (Windows and Linux and Physical as well as Virtual) and compare it to a known time source (Domain controller or ntp server).

If the difference is greater than 'x' mins I would need it to report warning and 'y' minutest would report a critical error.

Is this possible without adding bat, bash or ps script file to every single host that I am trying to check.

Hosts are all using ncpa for the connections/agent and it's completely disconnected from the internet/outside networks so I can't just download plugins easily.

Any help is appreciated.
sgardil

Re: NTP Time Drift

Post by sgardil »

AngeloMileto wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:57 am There was another thread on this but didn't see a full solution so need to ask again.
My goal is to check the time of a host machine (Windows and Linux and Physical as well as Virtual) and compare it to a known time source (Domain controller or ntp server).

If the difference is greater than 'x' mins I would need it to report warning and 'y' minutest would report a critical error.

Is this possible without adding bat, bash or ps script file to every single host that I am trying to check.

Hosts are all using ncpa for the connections/agent and it's completely disconnected from the internet/outside networks so I can't just download plugins easily.

Any help is appreciated.
This seems oddly specific so its very likely that you will need a custom script to do exactly what you would like. I'll take a look to see if we have anything that can do this without needing to find/make a plugin and get back if I find something but in the mean time you can check out our exchange for something that might fit what you are looking for. The exchange is where our community shares any plugins that they make that may be useful to others.
AngeloMileto

Post by AngeloMileto »

Appreciate the response @sgardil. Was just trying to give as much information as possible but it doesn't need to be that specific. Baseline is does the host have a valid time. I figured since it's a mixed environment we can't use chrony as windows wouldn't know what to do and < redhat 7 doesn't have it.

I did look at the exchange but didn't see anything that looked like it would work with chrony and windows and also utilize ncpa. I'll poke around again. Like I said though, it's hard to get approval to copy in stuff from the "outside" so I have to be careful.
jsimon

Post by jsimon »

This is absolutely possible using NCPA, however you will need to put a script of some variety on the target host for NCPA to talk to. If you aren't able to find a script that meets your need on the exchange site you will most likely need to generate that internally.