[Nagios XI DB] Best Practice for mysql-8.0 (/etc/my.cnf)

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
SBhambri

[Nagios XI DB] Best Practice for mysql-8.0 (/etc/my.cnf)

Post by SBhambri »

Hi Team,

What would be the best practice to follow for /etc/my.cnf (MySQL) for Medium and Large XI VMs in 2024?
- Medium XI VM with DB (10 vCPU, 20 GB RAM, 2GB RAM Disk) - 6K Services (checks every 5 min), 400 Hosts
- Large XI VM with DB (20 vCPU, 40 GB RAM, 4GB RAM Disk) - 12K Services (checks every 5 min), 800 Hosts
- MySQL = 8.0.36

(1) Are the below settings still required or recommended for both Medium and Large XI VM? (Without offboarding DB to separate VM and keeping it with XI) or they are deprecated for MySQL 8.0.x

########/etc/my.cnf - Start #########

###Follow NagiosXI settings START###
bind-address=xxxxxx
port=xxxxx
query_cache_size=16M
query_cache_limit=4M
tmp_table_size=64M
max_heap_table_size=64M
key_buffer_size=32M
table_open_cache=32
innodb_file_per_table=1
###Follow NagiosXI settings END###

[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mariadb/mariadb.log
pid-file=/var/run/mariadb/mariadb.pid

!includedir /etc/my.cnf.d

########/etc/my.cnf - End#########

(2) Is the RRDCache implementation is still recommended in 2024, as XI started using more SSDs?
- Storage Latency is less than 1-5ms for Medium and Large VM workloads?
- Storage Latency is less than >5ms for Medium and Large VM workloads?

(3) Does in a new installation of Nagios XI (Nagios XI = 2024R1 or Above), XI fullinstall "yum install nagiosxi" create random password for nagiosxi, dbmaint, nagiossql, ndoutils and root passwords in MySQL DB and unique to that installation?

With Regards,

SB
ajcoil

Re: [Nagios XI DB] Best Practice for mysql-8.0 (/etc/my.cnf)

Post by ajcoil »

Hello @SBhambri,

Thank you for reaching out!

1) We provide a default recommended tuning on install, but feel free to adjust them as needed. I would recommend having backups or snapshots just in case you run into any undesired/unintended outcomes.

2) Yes, the RRDCache implementation is still recommended.

3) As of Nagios XI 2024R1 users are given the option to set these passwords. If no input is provided, random ones will be generated during the install.

If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to reach out!