"disable" monitoring for one node in Nagios Core.

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ptsmit

"disable" monitoring for one node in Nagios Core.

Post by ptsmit »

Hi all,

I do have a question about Nagios core configuring.
Situtation:
I do have several IBMi nodes running and being monitored by Nagios Core. I configured all common stuff for being monitored for these servers in a common config file where I use a hostgroup to define services to be monitored. This hostgroup contains al my hosts. So the service is checked on al my hosts. That runs fine. For server specific checks I use a server specific config file. I used is this way to keep the work in modifying config files to the less. I tld this all works fine.

Question:
But there is one host on which I don't want to run the service check on because the service is not running on that server.
I was looking for a way to disable this check for only that server.
I know Ik can remove the check from the common config file and put it in all the server specific config files except for the one where it shouldn't run.
Or I can put in de server specific config file of the server where it shouldn't run by disbaling all the checks (passive, active, notificatio and so on). But if I do this it is still visible in the nagios core web GUI overview. But that's not what I want. I like it completely off and out of my overview.

May be I'm missing something, but is there a possibility to accomplish this with a minimum amont of effort? Or is it simply not possible. And yes I know core is for free and I do not have to expect that much of it. It's not a complaint by the way I'm just exploring the possibilities of Nagios core and trying to fit it in our enviroment.

Thanks in advance.

Grt. Tom.
gwesterman

Re: "disable" monitoring for one node in Nagios Core.

Post by gwesterman »

Hi @ptsmit,

If I am understanding your question correctly, you should be able to accomplish this by adding the unwanted host to the service's config entry with an "!" before it. This post gives a more concrete example of this process in action.

If this wasn't exactly what you're looking for or it doesn't work, please let us know.

Thank you!
ptsmit

Re: "disable" monitoring for one node in Nagios Core.

Post by ptsmit »

Thanks, That is what I was looking for, but couldn't find.
Case closed. :D