Upgrade not working?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
BanditBBS

Upgrade not working?

Post by BanditBBS »

Code: Select all

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the pre-flight check
Loaded plugins: langpacks, rhnplugin
This system is receiving updates from Spacewalk server.
No packages marked for update
[root@cms-chi-dnag01 nagiosxi]#
Trying to upgrade 2024R1.1.3 to 1.1.5

It just stops at that point.
2 of XI5.6.14 Prod/DR/DEV - Nagios LogServer 2 Nodes
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
sgardil

Re: Upgrade not working?

Post by sgardil »

BanditBBS wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:46 pm

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the pre-flight check
Loaded plugins: langpacks, rhnplugin
This system is receiving updates from Spacewalk server.
[root@cms-chi-dnag01 nagiosxi]#
Trying to upgrade 2024R1.1.3 to 1.1.5

It just stops at that point.
Hey BanditBBS

What OS are you currently using? Will run some test and see if I get similar results.
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.9 (Maipo)
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
amunter

Post by amunter »

Same thing happening to me. I'm running the Nagios XI virtual appliance that is still on Centos 7.9. I need to start fresh to get the underlying OS supported, so I downloaded the newest OVA which is running Centos 9 and Nagios XI 2024R1.1.5 and imported it into vSphere and launched it. Now I need to update my old one to that same version of Nagios before doing the backup/restore to migrate, but I just get this when I run upgrade.sh:

Checking required prereqs...
Please wait...

OLD VERSION: 60000

Nagios Core 4.4.13
Copyright (c) 2009-present Nagios Core Development Team and Community Contributors
Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Ethan Galstad
Last Modified: 2023-06-01
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...
   Read main config file okay...
   Read object config files okay...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking objects...
        Checked 89 services.
        Checked 10 hosts.
        Checked 4 host groups.
        Checked 0 service groups.
        Checked 9 contacts.
        Checked 4 contact groups.
        Checked 151 commands.
        Checked 17 time periods.
        Checked 0 host escalations.
        Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking for circular paths...
        Checked 10 hosts
        Checked 0 service dependencies
        Checked 0 host dependencies
        Checked 17 timeperiods
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   0

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Here is my current version:

#cat /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/xiversion                                      
###################################
# DO NOT DELETE THIS FILE!
# Nagios XI version information
###################################
full=2024R1
major=2024
minor=1
releasedate=2023-12-06
release=60000
sgargano

Post by sgargano »

Same issue here. I noticed that the nagios repos have version "Nagios XI 2024R1.1.5" for EL8 and EL9 only.
When do we can expect a version for EL7? I am working on migration my system to a new Host with EL9 but need it the same version as my old installation before migrating any configuration...
amunter

Post by amunter »

FYI, I'm still working on the problem. It does seem like they don't support EL7 anymore in their install script for 2024R1.1.5 even though the compatibility matrix says it is supported:

https://nagiosenterprises.my.site.com/s ... d-versions

I did this fix to the Centos 7 repos so the upgrade script can download required dependencies:

https://serverfault.com/a/1161847

and then downloaded the 2024R1.1.4 tar.tz file from:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... rsions.php

and was able to run the upgrade.sh command from that download to update my Centos 7.9 virtual appliance to 2024R1.1.4. The update to 2024R1.1.5 still doesn't work, but then I can download a matching version of the .ova from:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... 1.4-64.ova

and launch that in my virtual infrastructure so that they both match and I should be able to migrate configs.

In progress...
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

I don't see anything in the changelog about deprecating Linux 7 for XI yet, so if true, grrr. Its still technically supported until 2028:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7 reached End of Maintenance (EOM) on June 30, 2024, and will reach End of Life (EOL) when Extended Life Cycle Support (ELS) ends on June 30, 2028
amunter

Post by amunter »

Well, RHEL7 has extended support, but maybe it won't continue being back-ported to CentOS 7 which is what the Nagios OVA used.

My update worked eventually. I did the following:
  • upgraded my CentOS 7.9 OVA install to 2024R1.1.4 doing what I said a couple of posts above and then made a backup tar.gz file using the web interface
  • copied that backup file off to a different machine and shut down my 7.9 virtual appliance
  • launched a new 2024R1.1.4 virtual appliance and set it to the same name and IP address as the old one and did the initial config with license key and all
  • copied the backup file to it in /store/backups/nagiosxi
  • Ran the restore script from /usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/restore_xi.sh (running it from any other location doesn't work because it won't get your mysql passwords and things)
  • Downloaded and ran the fix script from /tmp/restore_repair.sh (because it was going from EL7 to EL9)
  • rebooted, and it looked good
  • updated the new virtual appliance to 2024R1.1.5
So I think for now I'm set.
sgardil

Post by sgardil »

Cent 7, Oracle 7 and Rhel 7 are being deprecated however I believe they were supposed to be in the 2024R1.2 release and not 2024R1.1.5. I'll take a look into it, sorry for the inconvenience.
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

BanditBBS wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:59 am I don't see anything in the changelog about deprecating Linux 7 for XI yet, so if true, grrr. Its still technically supported until 2028:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7 reached End of Maintenance (EOM) on June 30, 2024, and will reach End of Life (EOL) when Extended Life Cycle Support (ELS) ends on June 30, 2028
There might have been an opportunity to communicate our distribution support better. I agree that it would be frustrating to find out our stance after the upgrade itself failed.

We dropped support for all EL7 distributions when CentOS 7 hit end of life at the end of last month. It's true that IBM/RH introduced a new support period for RHEL 7, but we made the decision not to follow that path for our product. The intention was to allow upgrades to work until 2024R1.1.5 and to officially remove support for EL7 in 2024R1.2. We encourage you to make time to migrate to EL9 as soon as you can.
-Sebastian
Developer @ Nagios 2017-05-15 thru 2024-08-06