SNMP Traps: 'Received Traps' No Longer Updating

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
wneville

SNMP Traps: 'Received Traps' No Longer Updating

Post by wneville »

Hello,

I am receiving snmptraps and it appears they are processing correctly as they were parsed according to the EXEC line in the trap definition and correctly forwarded to my Event Manager. However, traps have stopped showing up in the SNMP Trap Interface under "Received Traps"

Why might this be?
jsimon

Re: SNMP Traps: 'Received Traps' No Longer Updating

Post by jsimon »

Hi @wneville,

Can you advise what version of XI you are using as well as Linux Distro/Version? For a first troubleshooting step I would look at your php error logs to see if there is anything there that can explain the issue you're seeing. Location for this log file will vary by distro, but places to look would include:

Code: Select all

/var/log/php-fpm/www-error.log

/var/log/apache2/error.log
DoubleDoubleA

Post by DoubleDoubleA »

Hi @wneville,

One thing that can cause this is multiple Nagios processes.

Run

ps -ef|grep bin/nagios
You're looking for the process with the -d, there will likely be several --worker processes.

Check out this thread from this post viewtopic.php?p=232275#p232275

Aaron
wneville

Post by wneville »

Thanks for your replies. There are two nagios -d processes, but one is a child of the other so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

There are tons of entries in /var/log/php-fpm/www-error.log like this:

[19-Sep-2024 10:53:37] WARNING: [pool www] child 2750139 said into stderr: "ERROR: Unable to set php_value 'soap.wsdl_cache_dir'"
[19-Sep-2024 10:53:41] NOTICE: [pool www] child 2659672 exited with code 0 after 1327.375087 seconds from start
[19-Sep-2024 10:53:41] NOTICE: [pool www] child 2750205 started
From what I read briefly it looks like this is due to php-soap not being installed; I've installed it on a dev server and will see if the messages stop and the application continues without issue. Nothing obviously related to snmptrap interface appears in the logs.

Earlier today I was using the XI Trap Interface (XITI) Received Traps menu. They were appearing in the XITI normally, and when I returned to them just an hour or so later, I had no traps in XITI beyond September 10th . I have had hundreds of traps since then so I am not sure why XITI seems to be moody about when it displays the Received Traps properly and when it doesn't! Any help troubleshooting is greatly appreciated
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Login to the XI interface and go to the Admin > SNMP Trap interface menu and click on the Advanced TAB.

In the logging section, if it says Logging is currently disabled.

Click on the Toggle Received Traps Logging button to enable the logging and update the settings.

Then see if the next time a Trap is received, you see it in the Received Traps interface.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!