Upgrade from 5.9.1 to 2024R1.1.5 is failing

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
11abbidoa

Upgrade from 5.9.1 to 2024R1.1.5 is failing

Post by 11abbidoa »

We have Cent7 so we can only upgrade up to 2024R1.1.5 but failing.
We use below series of command, everything works fine until the upgrade.
Please see attached files.
cd /tmp
rm -rf nagiosxi xi*.tar.gz
wget https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... 1.5.tar.gz
tar xzf xi-2024R1.1.5.tar.gz
cd nagiosxi
./upgrade
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sgardil

Re: Upgrade from 5.9.1 to 2024R1.1.5 is failing

Post by sgardil »

11abbidoa wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:50 am We have Cent7 so we can only upgrade up to 2024R1.1.5 but failing.
We use below series of command, everything works fine until the upgrade.
Please see attached files.
cd /tmp
rm -rf nagiosxi xi*.tar.gz
wget https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... 1.5.tar.gz
tar xzf xi-2024R1.1.5.tar.gz
cd nagiosxi
./upgrade
Thanks for reaching out.

Sometimes these mirrors are unavailable and it creates this issue. If you revert and run it again does it have the same issue? If so can you check a few things for us. It sounds obvious but can you run a ping check to make sure you have network on the machine. If yes could you next make sure your DNS is configured correctly? And lastly it may be worth clearing the yum cache with:

Code: Select all

sudo yum clean all
sudo yum makecache
Let us know if these suggestions help.
11abbidoa

Post by 11abbidoa »

sgardil wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:21 am
Sometimes these mirrors are unavailable and it creates this issue. If you revert and run it again does it have the same issue? If so can you check a few things for us. It sounds obvious but can you run a ping check to make sure you have network on the machine. If yes could you next make sure your DNS is configured correctly? And lastly it may be worth clearing the yum cache with:

Code: Select all

sudo yum clean all
sudo yum makecache
Let us know if these suggestions help.
The server has internet, I downloaded that the package here for upgrade.
Please see attached, I managed to ping the link that were unable to access even google.com
I also tried running the command "sudo yum clean all" and tried upgrading again but still error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsimon

Post by jsimon »

Hi @11abbidoa,

It seems likely to me that the issue you're running into is due to Cent7 being EOL, which means a lot of mirrors for it won't be active anymore. As you're on XI version 5.9.1, you should be able to migrate to a supported Linux distro and then resume upgrading your XI version. We have a guide on the migration process here:

More info about the Cent 7 EOL upgrade process can be found here:

Find more about our supported Linux Distros here:

Let us know if you have any questions about this or any issues with the steps!
11abbidoa

Post by 11abbidoa »

jsimon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:50 pm Hi @11abbidoa,

It seems likely to me that the issue you're running into is due to Cent7 being EOL, which means a lot of mirrors for it won't be active anymore. As you're on XI version 5.9.1, you should be able to migrate to a supported Linux distro and then resume upgrading your XI version. We have a guide on the migration process here:

More info about the Cent 7 EOL upgrade process can be found here:

Find more about our supported Linux Distros here:

Let us know if you have any questions about this or any issues with the steps!
Ok..so looks like i have to build new Cent9, install 5.9.1 and do backip and restore.. thank you..