Buffered Remote Messages

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
nagioschris

Buffered Remote Messages

Post by nagioschris »

Hi,

The company I work for needs to monitor one of our remote sites, however because it's SO remote we can only access the network over there when we dial in to it. This connection isn't permenant and is disconnected when we're not using it due to cost reasons.

We would like to use Nagios Core do this. We have Nagios servers at the remote site and one here at head office. The problem I have is that because we do not have a permenant connection to the remote site I can't use any of the network plugins that are reccomended.

We want to preserve the alarm history of the remote site when it's synchronised with the head office server.

Is there a way that I can get the remote Nagios server to generate a passive check and append it to a local file every time it runs an active check? This way I could pull that file back every time we connect in and play it into the head office nagios.cmd pipe.

If this is not possible is there a way that I can achieve the same result differently?
nagioschris

Re: Buffered Remote Messages

Post by nagioschris »

Does anyone have any ideas?
agriffin

Re: Buffered Remote Messages

Post by agriffin »

I don't know of anything that does exactly what you want, but maybe someone else will come along who does.

What I would do in this situation is run a separate installation of Nagios at the remote site and view the host and service states from both sites in Nagios Fusion.