Inplace update trouble from Nagios 3.2.3 to 3.4.1 CentOS 5

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
junglecom

Inplace update trouble from Nagios 3.2.3 to 3.4.1 CentOS 5

Post by junglecom »

Hi all,
I inherited a Nagios core 3.2.3 server and I am trying to update to 3.4.1 on centOS 5.8 x8664.
It looks like it was originally installed using yum and some repository source I cannot figure out.
Ive read a lot of blogs but my installation directory is different than theirs. Mine is ( /etc/nagios/)

When I do a yum update for Nagios I get no new updates available. What am I missing here?

Thank you for your help!
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Inplace update trouble from Nagios 3.2.3 to 3.4.1 CentOS

Post by abrist »

3.2.3 is the newest rpm for centos 5.8. Your only option for an upgrade will be to install from source. I would back up all your configs and review the documentation below thoroughly before proceeding.

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... Source.pdf
http://www.nagios.org/download/core/thanks/
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
junglecom

Post by junglecom »

Thank you for your reply. I had a feeling yesterday that this was going to be the case.
Do you have a good document on backing up existing config files and how to migrate into new server?
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

The files under /etc/nagios can most likely just be zipped up and moved to the new installation under /usr/local/nagios/etc if you're doing a source installation. You'll also probably want to migrate the Nagios plugins over as well. I don't remember where those get placed on a package install though. Using the same architecture on the new machine will make it so you don't have to recompile any plugins. A source installation keeps plugins in /usr/local/nagios/libexec

I would fire up the second machine, bring the configs and plugins over, but keep notifications disabled until you get everything back to how you wanted it.

The other solution you could do is compile Core with your current directories specified in the compile options, although you'd have to do a little bit of hunting as to which compile options you'd need.
junglecom

Post by junglecom »

Got it installed thank you! My only problem now is I cannot seem to find the check_snmp pluggin.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Based on the install document posted by abrist, all plugins should be in /usr/local/nagios/libexec. Please look in that directory to see if check_snmp is located there as it should be.
If you used another document, please link us to that.

The other possibility is that some packages were not available upon install of nagios-plugins and check_snmp was not able to be created properly. Per your other post.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
junglecom

Post by junglecom »

Figured out why this package was missing.
I did not have the yum net-snmp packages installed

I just ran:
1. yum install net-snmp*
2. configured the plugins package again
3. make && make install

The check_snmp was now where it should be.

Thanks again for your help!