Nagios monitoring cisco and dell

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
MPIvan

Nagios monitoring cisco and dell

Post by MPIvan »

Hi all,

i have installed nagios and nagios plugins on Ubuntu Server like instructions according to the quick start guid on nagios page. I have one Cisco router and dell switch and i like to configure to show me a interface status like up or down or UpTime of the interface but all i get some errors like:
External command error: MIB search path: /root/.snmp/mibs:/usr/share/mibs/site:/usr/share/snmp/mibs:/usr/share/mibs/iana:/usr/share/mibs/ietf:/usr/share/mibs/netsnmp
Cannot find module (SNMPv2-SMI): At line 0 in (none)
ifOperStatus.1: Unknown Object Identifier (Sub-id not found: (top) -> ifOperStatus)
So i suppose i have to install the mib files on my nagios server so he should know or i doing something wrong, because i try everything like punting the MIB or by default ...

define service{
use generic-service
host_name CiscoRouter
check_command check_snmp!-C ExampleCisco -o ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
}

i also try o change check command with mib
check_snmp!-C ExampleCisco -o .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8
but nothing ...

so i hope i can get help here ... tnx in advance
twelsh

Re: Nagios monitoring cisco and dell

Post by twelsh »

Hi MPIvan,

First of, run all your checks as the Nagios user not as root.

My second question would be can you query the Cisco from snmpwalk/snmpget?

Lets make sure we can actually talk to the Cisco box from SNMP first before bringing in the complexities of Nagios. (Which aren't really complicated really)

Where I curently work we have ACL's and access lists preventing anyone just randomly connecting to our network hardware.

Run the following snmpwalk command and see if it returns anything. If it does at least we know we have SNMP coonnectivity to the box and that there are no firewalls or ACL's in the way blocking the SNMP protocol.

snmpwalk -v 2c -c community-string hostname

Does the above return you information

Can you reply back and we will take it forward when we establish SNMP is actually working
MPIvan

Re: Nagios monitoring cisco and dell

Post by MPIvan »

Hi twelsh,
tnx for reply

yes, snmpwalk return results about some oid's or mib's ... the cisco router i have is without acl i just enable snmp and have nothing on it, (snmp and ip address of course:) ).
The other question is... in the /usr/local/nagios/libexec there is check_xxxx files or plugins but what about the plugins on http://exchange.nagios.org/ do i need to download them and if i do how to do that and install them ... i try downloading the http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... snmp_cisco with wget but i get nothing ... i was using the document description of how to install nagios core and nagios plugins from source (quickstart quide) and i wonder if i miss somthing or not ... but i have put some configurations for uptime in switch.cfg
define service {
use generic-service
host_name CiscoRouter
check_command check_snmp!-C example -o .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0
}

and it works ok ...

so the do i have to download and how or what ...

tnx in advance ....