1st time adding Cisco devices to Nagios CORE (not working)

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
smthomas23

1st time adding Cisco devices to Nagios CORE (not working)

Post by smthomas23 »

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 via Oracle VB and I have installed Nagios CORE v3.4.1 that went fine.

However when attempting to do the initial switch.cfg editing here is what happens:

vi /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

^ The above takes me to the config file to edit it.

I remove the hash sign (#)

cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/switch.cfg

But I am unable to save the edited config file. It just sits there...? I managed to scroll to the end of the tutorial or info on the config file itself to NO avail.

I even tried... Ctrl and O and that is NOT responding so I am unable to save and exit to get to the next step.

Please help!
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: 1st time adding Cisco devices to Nagios CORE (not workin

Post by sreinhardt »

vi does not respond, like some other editors, to Ctrl+keys. Once you have made the changes that you want type :quit [enter] and it will write the file with your changes. All vi(m) commands to my knowledge use :[command] instead of ctrl.

I might, as much as some may dislike it, suggest something a little more user friendly like the nano editor. That particular one will use Ctrl+w to write files without exiting, and Ctrl+x to exit and write. It does not have all the advanced features, but is quite a bit easier to use.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
MPIvan

Post by MPIvan »

or try using nano instead of vi ... nano /usr/local/nagios/filename.cfg
smthomas23

Post by smthomas23 »

Will try that and provide the results!