Postfix mail "From Address"

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Richard_Lian

Postfix mail "From Address"

Post by Richard_Lian »

Centos 5.5 and Nagios 3.5.0

Hi all,

In order to use my SMTP relay I need to ensure that all mails come from a specific "From Address" such as smtpuser@mydomain.com

I altered the main.cf and generic files in postfix to ensure the origin domain is mydomain.com. I then added a map for nagios@mydomain.com --> smtpuser@mydomain.com to ensure the "From Address" is what I need.

As a test I also added a map for root@mydomain.com --> smtpuser@mydomain.com and then sent a test mail from the CLI. This worked great! :D

However, my problem is that the mail from Nagios does not come through. I checked the Nagios logs and see that the notifications get sent. I checked the mail logs and see the mail getting sent. I can also see the mail hitting my SMTP relay it that servers logs.

So I can only assume that the "From Address" is not mapping correctly for Nagios and so does not get processed by the end mail server once the relay sends it on...or something else?

Does anyone have any experience of this or any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.
Richard_Lian

Re: Postfix mail "From Address"

Post by Richard_Lian »

Doh! I have fixed it. :geek:

Rather foolish mistake... I had mispelled my own email address. When I arrived at work today I discovered that my other colleagues have been recieving emails just fine! :oops:

So the changes made all worked but I had not checked my own email address properly!
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Postfix mail "From Address"

Post by abrist »

Our work is down here. :P Locking thread.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.